Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CC and others have mentioned that there is an art to googling. What tips or tricks do y'all use to find what you are looking for without sifting through tons of useless crap? Can you search a specific site? Is there a way to make sure that google gives you results just as you typed instead of one word in one place and the other word in a different sentance?

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
Site:

will open up a new world......

also try clicking that advanced search link to the right of the text box

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
I attached a PDF you should take a look at. I found it awhile ago. Its a great little cheat sheet with tricks to help n00bs with Google. :thumb:

Attachments

·
I Ride a Bike
2,336 Posts
i have the "Google Hacks 2" by O'Reily which is pretty handy, specially if you really want to get indepth and know how to query the search engine.

but alot of it is simple programing operations, simple things such as | , mean OR , then there's *.jpg , *.avi , etc. , typing in a URL and then right after the URL type site: your search term , then hit enter

·
Registered
209 Posts
Since you asked for some personal tips...

include a "key phrase" in quotes to find that phrase specifically. Can include other keywords outside of phrase too.

To exclude a word, use a minus in front of the word. ex. boobie -bird

When Googling and address, use just house number, street, zip - ex, 1234 Opdyke, 48326

I love using Google to search for shxt online. Whenever we need something at work i can usually get it in no time. If your first search isn't what you exactly need, you just need to revise your search based on the results. Start excluding things with the (-) and using "key phrases" !!

I also just learned alot from Cheat Sheet pdf posted above!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts