Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sveentusmaximus
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sick of my DW, I've been battling it for the past 6 months. Replaced just about everything on the front end. Had to replace balljoints 2x already and now after looking this over I see that another BJ on the driver's side is bad.

I am sick of replacing these lifetime warranty pieces of junk (TRW) so can anyone recommend a good brand for my Dana30? Price is no longer an issue, I just want them to freaking last more then a month or two.
I am thinking of just buying MOPAR ones since the stock ones lasted ~ 60K
Oh and btw the factory ball joints lasted 60K with my lift and 33s so I know it's not just the lift and pinion angles that are killing them.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Moog.

I'm unclear as to whether you are replacing them all at the same time every time. I always do all of them together so that anything bad or going bad isn't left behind to beat up the new parts.

·
Sveentusmaximus
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK I'll try Moog this time. Are they sold locally anywhere?
I am flying back to town on Saturday and I probably still have time to order a set for a Sunday wrenching. Just what I need after working 3 OT weeks straight argh.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
yes Moog are the shit. I have used them for 27 years and have yet to replace one on anything I put them in.

·
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
1,658 Posts
MOOG, the ONLY front end parts. We used to make fun of TRW parts saying they were as loose as the parts we were taking off.

·
Sveentusmaximus
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ajmorell, I am not sure but very likely as there is nothing left to replace and I could see some little play in the left upper joint.
Yes this is the last time I used the crappy Lifetime Warranty TRW junk. I replaced all 4 in February, then found a bad right upper 2 month later, replaced 2 on that side. Then now I find a bad upper on the left side argh.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
What all have you replaced thus far? Common things that cause DW are:

-Track bar bushings/loose track bar bolts
-Control Arm bushings
-Unbalanced tires
-Shot steering stabilizer (typically doesn't cause DW per say)
-I have heard rumors of blown shocks causing it but don't have any real confirmation on that.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
That list is going to confuse people into thinking DW is something other than what it really is, which happens often around here. Blown stabilizers and shocks don't cause deathwobble. DW is not a rattle or your axle bouncing up and down. Its something that makes your vehicle behave in an uncontrollable and/or dangerous manner in the cross-car dirwection. If its merely an annoyance to you, don't call it DW - otherwise it would be called Annoyingwobble.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
That list is going to confuse people into thinking DW is something other than what it really is, which happens often around here. Blown stabilizers and shocks don't cause deathwobble. DW is not a rattle or your axle bouncing up and down. Its something that makes your vehicle behave in an uncontrollable and/or dangerous manner in the cross-car dirwection. If its merely an annoyance to you, don't call it DW - otherwise it would be called Annoyingwobble.
I agree, I personally do not think the "wobble" or what have you caused by blown shocks or steering stabilizer is DW. The other things I listed DO cause DW and are typically the main causes.

·
Sveentusmaximus
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My'n is a severe shaking that gets stronger and stronger until the entire Jeep is shaking so violently it feels like it will just come apart. It is also undrivable at that point and stopping on the side of the road is only cure.

I've replaced the following parts so far:
New trackbar - RE HD version & all bolts rechecked for tightness
4 new ball Joints
2 new lower control arms
4 new bushings in the upper control arms
new tie rod end on the draglink
new ZJ steering swap with all new tie rod ends
new JKS swaybar discos
new passenger side hub
new front/rear shocks
Just had an alignment done too

only thing left on the front end that is "old" is the steering stabilizer. I may order one and replace it this weekend just for kicks. Anything else I can replace on the front end? :sonicjay:

What all have you replaced thus far? Common things that cause DW are:

-Track bar bushings/loose track bar bolts
-Control Arm bushings
-Unbalanced tires
-Shot steering stabilizer (typically doesn't cause DW per say)
-I have heard rumors of blown shocks causing it but don't have any real confirmation on that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts