Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Supercharged Santa-Bear
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have removed my AX15 for rebuild. I'm a little nervous about rebuilding it . The fluid came out dark brown to start . 3rd and 4th are grinding a little . 3rd has been rough for about a year and a half. I have rebuilt a 5 speed Harley trans but never an AX15 . I have a factory service manual which has a nice trans section . I'm not to sure what to order at this point in the way of parts. Guess wait and see. Getting it apart is not the problem. Waiting for parts and forgetting how it goes back together is. If any one has any helpful suggestions I sure would appreciate the advise.

Bear

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts
1) take pictures as you take it apart

2) Plastic Ziplock bags you can label with what the part is, and what picture it corresponds with

3) you already have a FSM you should be pretty good to go

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
1) take pictures as you take it apart

2) Plastic Ziplock bags you can label with what the part is, and what picture it corresponds with

3) you already have a FSM you should be pretty good to go
X2 I did mine and it is not that bad to do. I took picks also. It helps if you get stuck. The FSM was a BIG help. From the sounds of it you need 3rd and 5th syncros. As long as the gears look good you should be ok. I have some parts from my old trans of you need anything "special" just PM me

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
eBay has some good prices on rebuild kits.

The hardest part to taking an AX-15 apart is making sure you put the balls and springs in the correct places. The FSM will walk you through the order the shift rails have to be pulled and put back together.

Snap a bunch of pictures at each step. The FSM illustrations are not that great, and more than a few parts will fit more than one way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts