Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gustafson
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been talking lately about getting her a vehicle that is more family friendly. She currently has a diesel Cruze and it has been a great commuter vehicle, but not really well suited for travel or family use. That being said, we think the Terrain (or Equinox) would be a good daily driver for her, and roomy enough for us to take up north on some of our shorter 3-4 day trips. Does anyone have either of these vehicles? Any thoughts after you've spent some seat time in them? How do they handle in the snow? Is the AWD a must? Any thoughts or opinions would be much appreciated.

We would be ordering this vehicle new, so it would be a 2022 model. I believe this platform has been the same since 2018 though.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
We were going to buy a new Explorer 2 years ago and a coworker said rent one for your next road trip and see how it works for your needs. I am so glad we did as last year we bought a new Runner instead, we have around 26k on it and love it.

RBB

·
Registered
225 Posts
I have a 2013 Terrain with 125,000 miles - so far only tires, oil changes and a tune-up. The advice I received before I bought mine was get the AWD and 6 cylinder - extremely good advice! It is a great daily driver, but for long trips I prefer something larger, like a Suburban (personal choice), if you can fit everything you need in one they do work great. I plan on driving the Terrain until it falls apart!

·
Project Antitube
1,051 Posts
The new Equinox (third generation) and Terrain are tiny (as well as the Cadillac XT4). They shrank in 2018 down to the old Captiva size. The Acadia shrank down to the old Terrain size. The Blazer as well as the Cadillac XT5 showed up at the size of the old Equinox/old Terrain/new Acadia.

My wife has had 3 of the second generation of the Equinox (AWD, 4 gutless banger). They are pretty much perfect. However, the 3.6L is like driving a rocketship at nearly twice the horsepower. The size of these are perfect, you can fit four adults and ample crap in the back. The rear seat slides so you can trade legroom in the second row for more storage.

The new/2018+ is way too small, and we have no children and a small dog (Shiba Inu). It's like driving around in a lifted Cruze. I don't know what we're going to do when she wears this 2017 out. Probably will end up with a Cadillac XT5 I suspect. I don't physically fit in the Equinox/Terrain and the XT4, while the same platform, I do fit in due to a different interior in the B-pillar... still feels entirely too small and at over $40k employee price for the XT4... nope. The current Blazer/Acadia/XT5 is way more comfortable but again at over $40k... nope.

·
Gustafson
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The new Equinox (third generation) and Terrain are tiny (as well as the Cadillac XT4). They shrank in 2018 down to the old Captiva size. The Acadia shrank down to the old Terrain size. The Blazer as well as the Cadillac XT5 showed up at the size of the old Equinox/old Terrain/new Acadia.

My wife has had 3 of the second generation of the Equinox (AWD, 4 gutless banger). They are pretty much perfect. However, the 3.6L is like driving a rocketship at nearly twice the horsepower. The size of these are perfect, you can fit four adults and ample crap in the back. The rear seat slides so you can trade legroom in the second row for more storage.

The new/2018+ is way too small, and we have no children and a small dog (Shiba Inu). It's like driving around in a lifted Cruze. I don't know what we're going to do when she wears this 2017 out. Probably will end up with a Cadillac XT5 I suspect. I don't physically fit in the Equinox/Terrain and the XT4, while the same platform, I do fit in due to a different interior in the B-pillar... still feels entirely too small and at over $40k employee price for the XT4... nope. The current Blazer/Acadia/XT5 is way more comfortable but again at over $40k... nope.
While it does look like the latest generation shrunk (very slightly) it doesn't sound anywhere near as small as you're making it out to be.

I do appreciate your input though.

See attached.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,716 Posts
Sell it before you have the same problems your truck has.

And that is why I am not a fan of most newer gm stuff. Motor problems that are so bad on the hit and miss probability.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,547 Posts
My Dad is 6'5" and fits fine in a I think 2020 Equinox. Definitely latest generation. This is their 2nd in the current generation. They have the 1.5 turbo 4 and are happy with it. He was not sure about it before test drive since he's old school V8 in everything; but said it moved around well. Only time he noticed it working harder was when they drove through NC/Virginia hills.

·
Gustafson
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sell it before you have the same problems your truck has.

And that is why I am not a fan of most newer gm stuff. Motor problems that are so bad on the hit and miss probability.
The truck is being taken care of, so I can't complain at this point. (I'll update that thread once the issue is finally resolved)

This is why we are purchasing something brand new. No one else beating on it before hand, a warranty, and with my wife working remote for the foreseeable future, this should only have 20,000 miles on it by the time it's paid for.

My Dad is 6'5" and fits fine in a I think 2020 Equinox. Definitely latest generation. This is their 2nd in the current generation. They have the 1.5 turbo 4 and are happy with it. He was not sure about it before test drive since he's old school V8 in everything; but said it moved around well. Only time he noticed it working harder was when they drove through NC/Virginia hills.
Good to know. Although, the diesel Cruze is a slug, so I doubt my wife would notice if this wasn't a rocket.... :ROFLMAO:

·
Project Antitube
1,051 Posts

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,821 Posts
The 2012 we had was great until it wasn't. 2.4L AWD. Never replaced much on the vehicle, great in the snow, a lot of room with back seat flipped down. Then it started using oil, like, using oil. I went from 3 extra qts every oil change from 80-100K miles to 5 qts 100-120K to a qt every 2 weeks(700 miles) to a qt every week to a qt every 3 days. The last year it literally ran like a 2 stroke at a 50:1 mix (not joking, did the math) Made it to 160K miles and the timing chain jumped a tooth. Only thing touched in that time was brakes, cracked exhaust manifolds(x3) and front lower control arms. I'd still be driving it had the engine not been a total POS. We owned it from 25k miles and did regular oil changes 3-4k mile intervals. Engine troubles are well documented on those for 2.4's. Engine stuff aside, if the newer generations improved upon what was pretty flawless, they're probably a decent ride.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,794 Posts
I got a 2016 4cyl, AWD Equinox. I just went past 125K and spend about 2 hours a day commuting in it. As far as snow capabilities I drove it all last year on like 25% remaining tread street tires and did pretty good in the UP. I honestly thought "Well if it gets bad I'll put on my snow tires" and never did. I just put the snow tires on last week because the street tires wouldn't hold air anymore. While it wasn't a sports car by any means the 4cyl is still peppy. I use it about off road as much as I did my old XJ and its held up pretty good.

The only thing I wish I would have known is stay away from the larger diameter rims if you can. I got 18's and wish I would have bought one with 17's or 16's The 18's have no "AT" tread tires except for Toyo AT's. I'm running snow tires because they at least have some sort of tread voids for digging.

·
Gustafson
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got a 2016 4cyl, AWD Equinox. I just went past 125K and spend about 2 hours a day commuting in it. As far as snow capabilities I drove it all last year on like 25% remaining tread street tires and did pretty good in the UP. I honestly thought "Well if it gets bad I'll put on my snow tires" and never did. I just put the snow tires on last week because the street tires wouldn't hold air anymore. While it wasn't a sports car by any means the 4cyl is still peppy. I use it about off road as much as I did my old XJ and its held up pretty good.

The only thing I wish I would have known is stay away from the larger diameter rims if you can. I got 18's and wish I would have bought one with 17's or 16's The 18's have no "AT" tread tires except for Toyo AT's. I'm running snow tires because they at least have some sort of tread voids for digging.
Good to know, but I don't think this will be an issue for us. All season tires and AWD are really all we need I would think?

·
Project Antitube
1,051 Posts
I have two sets of tires for the boss'. A set of OEM 17s and a set of OEM 18s. The balder tires are used in the summer, whichever ones are more treadful get used in the winter. The OEM 17s are due for replacement but Costco just sold out of the tires I wanted to get.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,794 Posts
FWIW These are the snow tires I got and I'm pretty happy with them. Snow Tires

Probably going to get these for it next AT tires as the wife has them on her minivan and she thinks they are a good tire. FWIW she abuses the fuck out of them and they still have tread so that is a plus.

·
Gustafson
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts