Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have power in the garage already, but need a 220 line. Its about a 40 foot run from the electrical box in the basement to the garage, and 15 feet of this is under the driveway.

Looking for a ballpark price and someone to do the work, any recommendations?

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know what kind of wire is running out there now, it was already there when I bought it. There is no sub-panel in the garage, just a junction box that the wire comes into and then splits off to the outlets

·
Countryboy
1,599 Posts
Well I guess you better start digging.

If you don't have a sub panel in the garage I suggest putting one in there. Make your life alot easier.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
on a somewhat related hijack...in the event of a power outage, can you reverse feed electricity into your house through a 220v outlet from a generator provided your main breaker is disconnected/removed?

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on a somewhat related hijack...in the event of a power outage, can you reverse feed electricity into your house through a 220v outlet from a generator provided your main breaker is disconnected/removed?

yes, my neighbor does it

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
You can always run a separate meter for your garage. May end up less hassle than running new line under your concrete.

Unless someone was smart enough to run the current line through conduit under the driveway.

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can always run a separate meter for your garage. May end up less hassle than running new line under your concrete.

Unless someone was smart enough to run the current line through conduit under the driveway.
Based on some of the other things I have found in the house, I'd say there is no conduit, I'll try to find out for sure this weekend.

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
Can you, yes. Should you? NO
I was told that the Power Line Repair man gets a little angry when you back-feed 220v to him while he is trying to repair the line. I wouldn't know this personally though.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I was told that the Power Line Repair man gets a little angry when you back-feed 220v to him while he is trying to repair the line. I wouldn't know this personally though.
thats why you pull your mains when you do it. same with generators though.

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
thats why you pull your mains when you do it. same with generators though.
I was told the only safe way, would be to pull the meter..............

But I'm just a novice. I don't see how the big "E" could jump the gap with a pulled main, but I'm sure someone on here can tell us.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I was told the only safe way, would be to pull the meter..............

But I'm just a novice. I don't see how the big "E" could jump the gap with a pulled main, but I'm sure someone on here can tell us.
how do you pull a meter temporarily? As I'm sure CC will chime in, they make auto switchover's for permanent house generator setups that kickover when power is out effectively disconnecting the mains. When power is restored it kicks it back whilst disconnecting the generator from the house.

·
WWSD - What would stan do
11,206 Posts
how do you pull a meter temporarily? As I'm sure CC will chime in, they make auto switchover's for permanent house generator setups that kickover when power is out effectively disconnecting the mains. When power is restored it kicks it back whilst disconnecting the generator from the house.
Who is they?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts