Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody running a set, likes, dislikes?

I am looking for a new set of Radial MT's for my CJ-8 and considering a set. Most reviews I find online are the normal media coverage blah, blah.

I've been running the old style BFG MT's which were OK for their day. My Jeep is used primarily for all around cruising, backcountry trail riding, camping, etc. Running D44's locked front and rear, on 33x10.50's and is not a hardcore rock rig.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
I have the newer grabber red labels on my lj.
If the new mt uses the same carcass, it will b a tough tire.
Mine are a bit heavy, and a bit tougher to balance.
So far i have had no issues with mine.
good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,939 Posts
If money is an issue then the General Grappers are cheaper?

For what you do, I would stick with BFG KM2's.

·
Yooper In Training
7,254 Posts
For what you do, I would stick with BFG KM2's.
Lots of better options out there IMO. I ran those for a while and not a single thing about them impressed me. They weren't terrible, except for snow, but they weren't particularly good at anything either.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is the General I'm referring to:

http://generaltire.com/tires/light-truck-crossover-suv/grabber-x3

THe reviews claim they are the best thing since sliced bread and one review indicated they balanced out very well with very little weight. FWIW

The General's are a little cheaper than the BFG's, but not a real deal killer...for the miles I put on this Jeep they'll be on there for a while...which is why I am probably over analyzing the purchase. My current set of tires had been on for several years.

On other vehicles I have run BFG AT's (2 sets) and General AT2's (3 sets) and have been impressed with the Generals....slightly less money, same or better performance, including snow, but possibly wear slightly quicker on heavy vehicles (Dodge Ram 2500) and no noticeable difference on the XJ.

Anybody have experience with other Radial MT's that I should condsider?

Thanks for all input!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts