Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
******* Excavator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
With this nasty weather hitting us right now made me start to think if getting a better/bigger generator then what i have right now. It will prob be a duel use with my business so if need be would run a stick welder like a miller max star 200.

Want to stay around $1400 and around 7000 watt.

Was looking at a ridgid 7000.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-7...gclid=CLqeptjN_8kCFYQ6aQodyvcHYw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Generac GP7500E
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200434685_200434685

Opinions?

·
It's got a HEMI!
6,563 Posts
Make sure you look in to if you can run your welder off it or not. I was under the impression that a welder doesn't give a steady street of electricity so it will mess with the welder. Not 100% sure on that but something to think about

·
******* Excavator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the ridgid one can be run because thats what my cuz uses at his welding job when they have to do offsite work. IDK about the generac

·
******* Excavator
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That was discussed. We had a ranger before and the welder part went bad. The reason we looking to go this way is that way if one part or the other goes bad you don't have to drop as much to replace it. Also give me a good stick welder I can use in the shop as all we have is a mig.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have the Generac you listed. I have only about 8hrs on it. But it has worked well for me. I looked at generators for about a year and decided I wanted that model based on size and reviews. I picked mine up at TSC on sale for $850, keep an eye on the sales. My father in law just purchased a generac 5500. It appears generac is updating there model line to an "easy start" system which really is just a simplified choke knob for dumb asses. These new models are about $200 more than the same size older model. You might want to check with the local big box lumber yards and get a floor model for cheaper, that's what my FIL did.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
I am looking for the same thing. we lose power all the time (it seems), and tired of not having water during outages...

Looks like a 7000 would run my house. So I want to pick up an 8000...

·
bdd
2,385 Posts
If anyone is looking at a generator primarily for emergency use spend the extra money and buy a diesel. I have people bring me brand new generators all the time that won't start due to sitting with gas in them. The gas they sell nowdays sucks and can not be stored even with stabil in it.
There is no worse feeling then going out to show off the new gennerator you bought 9 months ago after the last power outage and having it not run....

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've tried using a portable generator to run a 110v mig welder, it was tough. The initial arc draws a lot of current, and there's a lag once the engine loads and comes up on power. Once you get started its ok.

·
787 Posts
If anyone is looking at a generator primarily for emergency use spend the extra money and buy a diesel. I have people bring me brand new generators all the time that won't start due to sitting with gas in them. The gas they sell nowdays sucks and can not be stored even with stabil in it.
There is no worse feeling then going out to show off the new gennerator you bought 9 months ago after the last power outage and having it not run....
I have a gas generator and wish I would have bought a diesel for exactly those reasons.

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,148 Posts

I bought a kit to convert mine to NG for this exact reason. After 3 uses would no longer start.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
That is what a gas shut off is for. I shut my gas off, run the carb dry every time. It has not failed me.

I should probably drain the tank though, this summer I did not have near the outages I normally do.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
honda makes a super quiet series, after using one of those - other ones seem a little meh...just food for thought.
My uncle next door has one of these, you can barely hear it run. It's probably 15+ years old now too. but they are $$$$ I want to say he paid 3-4k... the louder ones are less than 1k.... The Yamaha on my Rigid isn't that loud. When it runs it is right outside my bedroom window (about 25' away)

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,461 Posts
Do you use a shop truck? Kind of a extreme example here. But the idea has been done before when a IC motor went bad while the generator has lots of life left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ndp19T5mdQ
Might want to install a guard.:thumb:

Have it so that you can adjust the tension via bolts and switch to belt drive. You could easily remove and install the belt in less then 10 minutes that way then simply start the truck never having to think about bad fuel or hours ever again.

You set up the pulley ratio so that the truck is allowed to simply idle.
Depending on the type of motor you may need to wait till the thing warms up so the rpm stay constant.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
my power seems to go out enough for this not to be an issue :( (my 110 champion rv generator hasnt had an issue yet). I use that for the freezer and fridge and a few lights when the power is out for longer than 30 minutes or so (usually every time the power goes out)...

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
I've tried using a portable generator to run a 110v mig welder, it was tough. The initial arc draws a lot of current, and there's a lag once the engine loads and comes up on power. Once you get started its ok.
I've used my generator to power my 220v Forney AC arc welder, yeah, it's a weak start on the arc but nowhere near as bad as trying to run a mig.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts