Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, waaaay back in July '05, actually July 23rd, which would be 2 years ago today! I hired a guy to do a teardown of my old garage and sheds along with stripping the yard/sidewalk/rock garden and hauling it away.

I quickly wrote up a contract as I was talking to the guy (he was a close friend to my boss) just so I had at least something to work with. In my words, not the most exact, but "Projected project completion mid-September pending cement work." was what I put down. He was telling me he'd be done next week, not to bother, but I said, I'll say September and we should be fine with that.

Basically what I put down for money: 1k up front, 1k after demolition of structures and removal of cement, 1k plus any additional costs for topsoil, sand, etc. to be authorized by homeowner, at completion of project.

A long winded rundown of what went on....

- Showed up 3 weeks after start of contract and tore my garage down and hauled it away.
- Showed up 1 month after start of contract and picked up some tools he left behind, I paid him the agreed initial 1k for upfront work.
- 1 1/2 months after start of contract (ASC from now on), came by and loaded sheds onto trailer and removed.

** We are now at mid-September, structures were removed, but no work completed on cement or yard removal/stripping. I had a cement guy lined up since August, but we didn't sign anything because we didn't know if it would be ready for him to start.

- 2 Months (Oct '05), I signed a contract with a cement guy to do my garage slab and driveway. We were waiting for removal of cement and yard before he started.
- 3 Months (Nov '05) Cement contractor could not wait any longer to put down cement, so he came in and scooped up all the cement and yard stones, bricks, that were in his way and piled them out of the way and completed his work in 2 weeks. He also removed the piled up concrete, bricks, stones when he hauled away the old footings at the same time, said not to worry about any additional cost. Rough graded around footings.

** From Oct-Nov I was in weekly contact with original contractor, he would promise to finish his work that week, every week I called, never showed up week after week, always had an excuse.

** Dec 1st 2005 I have a driveway and garage slab with new footings poured, no yard work done, we can't drive on the cement until its cured, cement guy said would be best if we waited until Jan - Feb.

- April '06, started calling up original contractor asking him to finish yard.
- May '06, Build garage with family help
- June '06, continued to call contractor to come and finish work.
- July '06, I told contractor all he had to do was remove the cement/brick/stone and I would pay him the other 1k owed after that work was done. He came over to discuss what needed to be done, offered to trim trees as compensation for him being late, I refused. He offered to seed the lawn for me, I refused.

** August '06, Contractor arrived, trimmed trees I asked not to be trimmed, plowed under all rocks, cement, bricks, and piled roughly 5 yards of debris behind my garage and spread seed over back yard. Told my wife he was done.

So, in the end, this guys final grade was horrible, tire ruts, blade gouges, uneven ground. You couldn't walk without looking down or you would trip over the ground. I had roughly 5 yards of bricks, yard trash, rocks, cement, asphalt, piled behind my garage. In the yard, he had a 10'x10' area of asphalt that he just bladed 2" of dirt over, never removed.

I was irate and about ready to strangle the guy! So, I went out and hired another guy to come by and dig out all the shit he didn't dig out, haul away the crap behind my garage, and smooth out the yard somewhere close to level. That guy did it that week. My father and myself spend roughly 30 combined hours of digging, dragging, smoothing, and hauling to get the backyard graded and ready for seed.

So, for the next 3 months, from August - Nov. I call up my original contractor to meet and discuss our contract. I said I had some issues and I'd like to go over the contract with him. He failed to show up at 4 different times that we agreed on over a 3 month period. I would call, he wouldn't answer for 2 weeks, then he would call up out of the blue and we would set another meeting date and he wouldn't show. So, I said F'em, I'm not going to pay him a dime then if he doesn't want to meet.

So, today, 2 years after we signed a contract for work, and about 1 year after he told my wife he was done, I get a bill for 2g's. And it says I owe interest if not paid within a month.

Do I really have to pay this idiot!??? I'm an idiot for not dropping him immediately, but being a friend of my boss's I would bit my lip and deal with the crap.

I would like to take that 2g's and deduct the other guys fee for finishing the work (500 bucks), my 30 hours of labor, heartache fees for trees that were hacked and all the damn straw I had to rake up, and the headaches from being so late.

Thanks for listening! :chiefwoohaw: :chiefwoohaw:

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
Fuk him. Make sure you tell him to f' off repeatedly and more importantly. Post up the "contractors" name and the name of his business so no one else gives him free money.. Dont give him any more money. Chances are you will not get anything back no matter how shitty the work was..

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
the contract was not completed in the time stated so screw him. He did sign it right? Is he licensed and insured? If he is not he does not have much of any thing to stand on either.

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
the contract was not completed in the time stated so screw him. He did sign it right? Is he licensed and insured? If he is not he does not have much of any thing to stand on either.

You dont have to be licenced in michigan to do any residential work.
Your gonna waste more time and lose more money than you want back by chasing this dude to court and him not showing etc etc...

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Your gonna waste more time and lose more money than you want back by chasing this dude to court and him not showing etc etc...

agreed but you do have to be licensed in MI to lean? That is the part I was getting at. A lean just would be a bigger headache for him.

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
agreed but you do have to be licensed in MI to lean? That is the part I was getting at. A lean just would be a bigger headache for him.
Gotcha.. I wasnt thinking of the "contractor" trying to get any more money from the owner. Your right, but he really has nothing to lean on anyways as he really did no actual building. Im not sure if you can make a case of general labor. Either way i dont see how this contractor could go after any money.

I would wipe my ass with the bill and personally deliver it back to him.

·
ASSHOLE
932 Posts
Take him to small claims. Should be open and close with all your documentation.
It would be open and close. Assuming the guy has the money to pay, or a steady job. Taking money from his paychecks is another court session though and so on and :chiefwoohaw: :chiefwoohaw: :chiefwoohaw:
Future father in law just went through all this with some assbag.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats my biggest fear right now, he'll somehow get my credit screwed up or try to take me to court or something. I'm trying to figure out if I legally owe him, or not. Are my objections legit, or don't they matter cuz I never told him NOT to do anymore work. Sure I think the work was shit and I had to do it over and even finish the work, but do I owe him his labor for work he did do? Regardless of if it was done correctly?

I did take a bunch of pics of his work...and after I fixed it...

Lucas

·
I think I can make it!!!!
2,315 Posts
Dont waste any time. Just tell him to get bent. It is not worth going to court over. If he is not licensed he can not come after you for the money anyway. He will not win in court and probably cant afford to go anyway. He also can not charge interest unless it is in the contract or he has a court order.

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
he cannot mess with your credit score, he cannot put a lean on anything. he is just trying to scare you with paperwork. just give him a call and tell him that you had to pay another company to fix his screw ups. then let him know he is lucky you dont take him to court on principal to get your money back. then tell him to have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JCT Services? (Its JCT Something, only his name appears on the Invoice).

The guy I hired to finish/fix the work said the guy shouldn't be in business doing anything if he thought that the yard was anywhere near done.

Maybe I'll mail back a nice letter saying I wasn't satisfied with the work and would not be paying. Should I explain anything or just leave it at "I'm not paying, but thanks for trying"?

Lucas

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
Let him take you to court, he can win, but getting the money from you is a different story.....that and I highly doubt he can win.

Ignore him till he goes away or takes you to small claims.

Then go to court, if you win no worries, if you don't, don't pay.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,815 Posts
yea I thought that was kinda odd too.

·
Oldbie
4,835 Posts
You definitely need a Residential Builders License to do residential work in MI. Without a license he cant take you to court. He was working illegally.

Oddly enough you do not need a license to do commercial work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.