Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the deal I'm putting my 67 cj5a back into service. When I last used it about 6 years ago I had 5:38s in it, t-18 trans. Now I'm putting my t-86 back in and have parted out the axles so I need to rebuild the 44/30 combo.
The motor is a buick 231 odd fire with trw forged 10:5 pistons the cam is middle of the road comp cam.It puts out good power for a v6. I wouldn't be afraid to put a 125 shot of nos on it if needed.
Is anybody running paddles with this type of setup? I think I would want more wheel speed at a lower rpm if that makes since. I'm also thinking about going to a 4:56 or 4:27. Any suggestion?

·
aka Langford
1,268 Posts
You have to make a LOT of power to make paddles worth it on a truck. I have seen a few mildly built pickups on the dunes with paddles getting passed up on the hills and flats by stock motor trucks with stock tires aired down.

·
Kicking Cancers ASS
10,529 Posts
This is the deal I'm putting my 67 cj5a back into service. When I last used it about 6 years ago I had 5:38s in it, t-18 trans. Now I'm putting my t-86 back in and have parted out the axles so I need to rebuild the 44/30 combo.
The motor is a buick 231 odd fire with trw forged 10:5 pistons the cam is middle of the road comp cam.It puts out good power for a v6. I wouldn't be afraid to put a 125 shot of nos on it if needed.
Is anybody running paddles with this type of setup? I think I would want more wheel speed at a lower rpm if that makes since. I'm also thinking about going to a 4:56 or 4:27. Any suggestion?
I hope this helps you. I have a good friend, he is a member on here. He runs a ranger with a very stout sbf in it. Im sure he makes in the neighbor hood of 450hp. He runs 5.13s and 38s most of the time. Last summer he put a set of 35in tall paddles on his truck while he was at the dunes. He never shifted out of 1st gear high range while he was ripping around for an hour or so.
I know that is not the same set up you are running and you are lighter. But i think a v6 is really going to struggle turning paddles unless they are small and dont have very big scoops on them.
If this dont help sorry for wasting you time.

Best Car & Motorcycle Insurance | Auto/Moto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my motor before nos puts out around 260hp.I'm sure your all right about a bigger motor but anyone can put in a v8, I like my odd fire v6 plus its one of 89 built for 67 so I should try to keep it somewhat original. It still has the bech seat!
I saw a sammi there last year with small paddles and it did well. I think they were 13.50 wide and he had a stock engine.

·
Coil springs are for pens
3,453 Posts
With paddles I would put money on that T86 giving up the ghost rather quickly, espically with N.O.S. You can always use a different transmission gear for more wheel speed, but horsepower is the real key in the sand. I'd go slightly conservative with the paddle height. I borrowed a set of fairly aggresive 33" paddles one time and had to give good effort to spinning them with my V6. Spicer 18 transfer cases don't like paddles either, Willybad & I can both attest to that.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,542 Posts
Indy, I've run paddles at the dunes for several years. Yes, you need HP but it needs to be matched to the proper proper gearing. For a vehicle of your size, your paddles won't be over 33" tall. I would recommend either the Paddle Trax 13.50 or 16.50. The 16.50's are good up to about 400 hp. That's what's on mine here:

You know my engine (370 hp) & I'm running 4.88 gears & 2.7:1 t-case. In low range 4 wheel drive, I would run out of top end, in high range, I didn't have the hole shot. I actually liked it better with the 4.56 gears. Driving with paddles is alot different than driving with street/mud tires. The key is wheel speed but if you can't keep them turning you will just bog down. You can not crawl with paddles....ever. If you try to crawl test hill, as soon as they get the slightest amount of slip, the paddle digs a hole NOW! Stand on the throttle & you just throw sand. On the other hand, 2wd hi range is a blast!:woot:

I actually just sold my paddles this past fall. I found that everything was based on high rpm and a much faster speed than everyone else I was running with. I needed money to buy my 40's so off they went.

If you have more questions, I'll give you my thoughts.

Jim

·
Registered
828 Posts
I would think you'd be looking at some 1300's to work best. Possibly 16.50's if you wanted to have more than enough for future mods, but I would think the 1300's would be good. They have a "1300 Plus" that would seem to fit pretty well with what you have. Keep in mind that while an extra hit from a 125 HP shot would help even more, you won't be using it all the time.
You are correct, you want wheel speed, so you need something that your setup can accomplish that with. That's mostly why you'll see trucks/etc. out on the dunes with huge scoops that can climb whatever they want, they are much "slower".

That oddfire has probably plenty of power for paddles. There was a CJ5 paddled up that used to run the dunes with a mild 225, it would pull wheelies all day long and IIRC won a few sanctioned races.
That's something I'd have to see to believe. Pulling the tires off the ground on a good track isn't something I could see happening with just a mild 225, let alone on the dunes. I've seen a lot of stuff at the dunes, but never anything short of some fairly high HP and a decent setup yank tires on the dunes.

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
id look into a set of 1300 plus, or the 1500 varatrak. you could probably run the 16.50's, but you will want to make sure you get the right cut. another good option is the desert trak's, as they seem to work well on everything, but they dont have the badass look of a regular paddle. an advantage to the desert traks, and varatrak, is that there isnt really many options for different cuts, which means you wont get the wrong cut if you pick them up used.

whatever you get, i would steer clear of skat-traks. not for quality reasons, but skat-traks are hardcore. basically, you wont be able to turn them. you may get by with a skat-trak digger, but realistically, i wouldnt even try it with a 225 (i have a 225 cj, so im not dogging it, it just isnt enough)

as said before you wont want a big tire, even a 33" paddle will be to much. look in the 30-32" size.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,542 Posts
The desert traks are nice because they run on the pavement well but I don't think they get much traction over a good mud type tire that flexes well. I ran them both on a buggy and the front of my jeep. When I looked at the vera traks they looked too wide & I got the imprssion they offer good flotation but not alot of traction. My paddle traks were play cut.

Tire height is going to be somewhat dependant on his overall drive ratio and what brand tire he goes with.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was thinking some where in the height of a 31" tire. My motor will pull the front tires off the ground with 33" boggers. On asphalt though! I am currently trying to buy back my t-18 that I had in it then! My t-86 is a turd but I just went through it everything looked good. My best best would probaly be a muncie m-21. If I got a set of used paddles I could cut the height down. I do agree it will be a bit of a challenge with my 231 but I'll try it!
As far as gear goes I know theres got to be a happy medium I'm used to rocks and 110:1 crawl ratio, now I have to figure out 3500-5500 fly ratio!

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
With paddles I would put money on that T86 giving up the ghost rather quickly, espically with N.O.S. You can always use a different transmission gear for more wheel speed, but horsepower is the real key in the sand. I'd go slightly conservative with the paddle height. I borrowed a set of fairly aggresive 33" paddles one time and had to give good effort to spinning them with my V6. Spicer 18 transfer cases don't like paddles either, Willybad & I can both attest to that.
I missed the part on going back to the T86... yeah that won't last :sonicjay:

That's something I'd have to see to believe. Pulling the tires off the ground on a good track isn't something I could see happening with just a mild 225, let alone on the dunes. I've seen a lot of stuff at the dunes, but never anything short of some fairly high HP and a decent setup yank tires on the dunes.
71jeepster bought the motor from the jeep on here, but never finished installing it in his Jeepster before he sold it and moved to Idaho. I don't know the stats of the motor.

I can almost get the front wheels of my flatty off the ground with my 225 in high range... and I can in 2 low with a stock motor. If I had different gearing I am sure it would be pretty easy, on sand for me would be another story. I cannot believe my T86 hasn't spattered all over the place yet.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I can almost get the front wheels of my flatty off the ground with my 225 in high range... and I can in 2 low with a stock motor. If I had different gearing I am sure it would be pretty easy, on sand for me would be another story. I cannot believe my T86 hasn't spattered all over the place yet.
On regular ground I can see it. Not too difficult with the short wheelbase. On the sand though, I just can't see it happening.
IIRC, the 1300 Plus is rated as a 31" tire on a 15" rim, so that should get you where you want to be. I think your setup would do well with those.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,939 Posts
Do you have to purchase special wheel studs when you run paddles? I've seen on multiple times where a jeep/buggy at the Dunes have sheared all of the lugs off.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Do you have to purchase special wheel studs when you run paddles? I've seen on multiple times where a jeep/buggy at the Dunes have sheared all of the lugs off.
No. The CMS wheels most of us run come drilled large enough for the stud to fit through, and the offer a washer that is flat for the rim side and beveled on the other for a standard type lugnut to use. However, those holes don't always seem to be drilled 100% on, and I have seen more than 1 person have them "slop" and come loose. Both people caught them before any ill side affects, but I would guess that be what happens when you see that. Most of us have redrilled for a shank type lugnut. All of us still run the stock studs though.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,542 Posts
In using the flat washers I found that I had to carry a breaker bar/socket/extension with me for the first run through the hills. It didn't matter how tight I would tighten them when I installed them, they would still loosen up. Usually took 2 stops to tighten them & then I was good for the duration. I finally chamferred them for a tapered lug nut & that solved the problem. I had people tell me I shouldn't chamfer them because they would gall but I never had a problem.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On regular ground I can see it. Not too difficult with the short wheelbase. On the sand though, I just can't see it happening.
IIRC, the 1300 Plus is rated as a 31" tire on a 15" rim, so that should get you where you want to be. I think your setup would do well with those.
Now if I can just find a used set. Maybe Obama will come through real quick like and I can buy new!
Thanks for all the info!!

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,542 Posts
Now if I can just find a used set. Maybe Obama will come through real quick like and I can buy new!
Thanks for all the info!!
Hey Indy, I've got a bald set of 32" Mickey Thompsons that will work just as well.:sonicjay:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts