Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Just wondering if anyone knows if you can break in new gears with synthetic lube. I know your not suppose to, with a new motor but was wondering about gears. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
what axle?? some axles require synthetic only, so you'd obviously need to use synthetic. just got my jeep done last night and started breaking the gears in (8.8 is synth only) i imagine it is fine, just not 100% sure (all knowing axle gurus chime in here....):tonka:

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,674 Posts
I know your not suppose to, with a new motor
just to let ya know thats false. High end cars like ferrari, porsch, BMW, etc... all come fromt the factory with snynthetic oils.

I would just run normal gear lube as if your going to wheel it you'll probably be changing it frequent.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
just to let ya know thats false. High end cars like ferrari, porsch, BMW, etc... all come fromt the factory with snynthetic oils.

I would just run normal gear lube as if your going to wheel it you'll probably be changing it frequent.
agreed.
theres an old saying that transfers to this...change oil hot, change oil frequently.
Relocating your axle breathers should be one of the first things you do to your rig. This will eliminate water from entering the diff...it doesn't matter what kind of oil you got in there, if you mix it with water, it's junk.
my .02

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are dana 44's out of a scout. I mainly only use the jeep at silver lake. Its never been in the water. Mainly just climbing hills and racing. Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts