Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

2701 - 2720 of 2782 Posts

·
no wait! my name is joe
524 Posts
Well, there we have it, the Gladiator is the new 'Barbie Jeep' :sonicjay:
Hate to say it but for the most part all new wranglers are. We bought my wife a brand new 18 jlu. Friend of mine bought his wife one last year. 2 people i went to school with wives have new wranglers. I have a few female customers that drive brand new wranglers. And driving around locally the great majority of other be jeeps we see have women driving. They are great vehicle's but they are so comfortable and equipped well enough to suit women today. And the sad part is half of the women i know with new jeeps got manual transmissions. And almost all the men have autos

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

·
Gustafson
9,043 Posts
Hate to say it but for the most part all new wranglers are. We bought my wife a brand new 18 jlu. Friend of mine bought his wife one last year. 2 people i went to school with wives have new wranglers. I have a few female customers that drive brand new wranglers. And driving around locally the great majority of other be jeeps we see have women driving. They are great vehicle's but they are so comfortable and equipped well enough to suit women today. And the sad part is half of the women i know with new jeeps got manual transmissions. And almost all the men have autos

That is sad. :(

·
no wait! my name is joe
524 Posts
When i meet my wife she had a cavalier z24 5 speed. She bought it whenshe turned 16 and learned on a stick. We traded it in for an auto car and she hated it. Traded that for a chevy cruze turbo 6 speed. So when shopping for a vehicle this time her list was, awd or 4x4, "sunroof" and manual transmission. Unbelievably few options meet that. I convinced her to drive a new jl. She kept telling me that she didn't want a wrangler. Well the second she sat in a new one she fell in love with it. She's still mad at me cause she's obsessed with her new jeep and broke lol

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Personally, the worst thing is the Rubicon, or Raptor, or whatever being the "top of the line one". So ritzy people see them, and just want the fanciest one, which one is that?

Oh it's this Rubicon sir or Ma'am, or Super Maaaa'aaam.

Then they get it, and bitch it doesn't have heated bidet seats, so they add in a bunch of nonsense.

The last Jeep I bought new was a 06 Unlimited Rubicon LJ, had a soft top, cloth seats, manual trans, locks, windows..... And it was 28.5 out the door..

Can't touch a Rubicon for less than 45 now.

·
Gustafson
9,043 Posts
This was in Windsor this summer for comic con.

Another beef about the gladiator is the wheelbase, you’re gonna get high centered with something that long. A lot
Yes, and sadly I feel the wheelbase should be longer. It doesn't look right with the rear axle where it's at.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think FCA should have just done a 2 door Jeep truck. Let’s be honest tho, what Jeep owner gonna wheel that gladiator knowing all about departure and overhang angles? The ones who get stuck off-road driving them will be the teens of the soccer moms.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Their target market is not offroading. It's just a marketing trend.
Jeep did sponsor a gladiator to run KOH though so it has to at least be part of there strategy. To be honest the only marketing that I have seen for the gladiator has involved some type of offroading.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
Jeep did sponsor a gladiator to run KOH though so it has to at least be part of there strategy. To be honest the only marketing that I have seen for the gladiator has involved some type of offroading.

Because it's a "jeep" that looks like a wrangler. They want people to think that it's still an off-road vehicle. The holy grail of vehicles is something that appeals to the off-road enthusasists, and appeals to the soccer mom, pavenment queen buyers.

How do you get beat the holy grail, by making it look like both those things, but not actually having it work that way. Save money, and still sell it for what it looks like it is

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts

Didn't they extend the time so it could finish and Jeep wouldn't get mad :teehee:

I wanted a Jeep truck for years, and this one is close to what I wanted, aside from that rear overhang and rear door. My problem is jeep has pushed so far upscale and pricing is so ridiculous I'm not willing to spend the coin they want now-days. The price has MORE than doubled in less than 20 years.

·
The Green Machine
4,196 Posts
Personally, the worst thing is the Rubicon, or Raptor, or whatever being the "top of the line one". So ritzy people see them, and just want the fanciest one, which one is that?

Oh it's this Rubicon sir or Ma'am, or Super Maaaa'aaam.

Then they get it, and bitch it doesn't have heated bidet seats, so they add in a bunch of nonsense.

The last Jeep I bought new was a 06 Unlimited Rubicon LJ, had a soft top, cloth seats, manual trans, locks, windows..... And it was 28.5 out the door..

Can't touch a Rubicon for less than 45 now.

Also can't get a rubicon with cloth seats, manual lock or windows anymore. But I agree, their prices are ridiculous, they are just used as status symbols now. The could make the Rubicons 2wd and I bet 99% of the people that buy them, would never even know.

·
The Green Machine
4,196 Posts
And I'll still take my old Jeep truck over the Gladiator, cost about 1/4 of that one, more capable offroad, just wish it was an extended cab. Would probably still have it if it was.

Attachments

·
no wait! my name is joe
524 Posts
They need to make a new trim level wrangler. Base model with 44 front with lockers. Or make the front 44 with lockers an add on option for all trims. And an option for the "rock trac" transfer case. Rubicon is starting to become a joke

·
Yooper In Training
7,049 Posts
I think FCA should have just done a 2 door Jeep truck. Let’s be honest tho, what Jeep owner gonna wheel that gladiator knowing all about departure and overhang angles? The ones who get stuck off-road driving them will be the teens of the soccer moms.
Apparently FCA had this weird goal to actually make money off the Gladiator. Nobody buys 2 door Jeeps or regular cab trucks anymore. So why would the decision makers decide to go with a regular cab Jeep truck? It doesn't matter how "cool" something is if it doesn't turn a profit.

Because it's a "jeep" that looks like a wrangler. They want people to think that it's still an off-road vehicle. The holy grail of vehicles is something that appeals to the off-road enthusasists, and appeals to the soccer mom, pavenment queen buyers.

How do you get beat the holy grail, by making it look like both those things, but not actually having it work that way. Save money, and still sell it for what it looks like it is
It is still an offroad vehicle. It's not a short wheelbase hardcore rock crawler, but what factory vehicle is? It's got solid axles, good suspension, huge wheelwells, optional lockers, good gearing, and still has enough creature comforts, payload, and towing capacity for people to be able to use it for more than just offroading. It'll be great for the weekend warriors, overlanders, two trackers, and modest recreational wheelers, plus it'll offer most of the same mild-to-wild upgrades as the rest of the JL and JLUs out there.

It's funny how 90% of the people who incessantly complain about the Gladiator are driving rotted out XJs and wouldn't be buying one even if it were perfect. Everybody has an opinion they think should be catered to, but until those people start shelling out some cash, it doesn't freaking matter what they think. FCA did a wonderful job designing a capable, functional, useful, offroad-capable midsize truck. Is it perfect? No. Does it suit everyone's needs? No. Is it good enough at enough things to sell like mad? I'd put money on it. And designing and launching upgrades and accessories for it is going to keep my ass busy for a long, long time.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
Didn't they extend the time so it could finish and Jeep wouldn't get mad :teehee:

I wanted a Jeep truck for years, and this one is close to what I wanted, aside from that rear overhang and rear door. My problem is jeep has pushed so far upscale and pricing is so ridiculous I'm not willing to spend the coin they want now-days. The price has MORE than doubled in less than 20 years.
I heard they did more than that to get it to finish.

·
Gustafson
9,043 Posts
Apparently FCA had this weird goal to actually make money off the Gladiator. Nobody buys 2 door Jeeps or regular cab trucks anymore. So why would the decision makers decide to go with a regular cab Jeep truck? It doesn't matter how "cool" something is if it doesn't turn a profit.

It is still an offroad vehicle. It's not a short wheelbase hardcore rock crawler, but what factory vehicle is? It's got solid axles, good suspension, huge wheelwells, optional lockers, good gearing, and still has enough creature comforts, payload, and towing capacity for people to be able to use it for more than just offroading. It'll be great for the weekend warriors, overlanders, two trackers, and modest recreational wheelers, plus it'll offer most of the same mild-to-wild upgrades as the rest of the JL and JLUs out there.

It's funny how 90% of the people who incessantly complain about the Gladiator are driving rotted out XJs and wouldn't be buying one even if it were perfect. Everybody has an opinion they think should be catered to, but until those people start shelling out some cash, it doesn't freaking matter what they think. FCA did a wonderful job designing a capable, functional, useful, offroad-capable midsize truck. Is it perfect? No. Does it suit everyone's needs? No. Is it good enough at enough things to sell like mad? I'd put money on it. And designing and launching upgrades and accessories for it is going to keep my ass busy for a long, long time.
And now I know why you're defending it. :teehee:

·
18,545 Posts
Also can't get a rubicon with cloth seats, manual lock or windows anymore. But I agree, their prices are ridiculous, they are just used as status symbols now. The could make the Rubicons 2wd and I bet 99% of the people that buy them, would never even know.
.....sounds like someone has been checking!?

2701 - 2720 of 2782 Posts