Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
'78 CJ5
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on the "hamilton fuel injection" system for a 1978 cj5 AMC 258 motor?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,938 Posts
Not so much hamilton but it's just a TBI system based off of GM TBI's.

Howell is a pretty reputable company doing this and they are based in michigan. Same prices as Hamilton, I'd lean twards Howell myself.

·
Are we there yet?
1,993 Posts
I've been running a propane conversion on my 258 for the past 9 years and have been impressed with how well the motor runs. If you are running mostly offroad and in areas where a carb is causing you issues, such as rocks then I'd give propane a look.

I'm preparing to swap out my propane unit and been looking at a Howell TBI... this is due to needing space in the rear of the jeep for a growing family, not due to performance.

·
getting dirty
971 Posts
There are a couple of other companies in Michigan that do TBI swaps, Performance Fuel Injection north of St Johns, I have a system from them on my 304, and Affordable Fuel Injection, think they have a place out in Oxford.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have Affordable Fuel Injection on my motorhome. I think I paid 1200 for A complete kit for a ford 460 3 years ago

·
'78 CJ5
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know, love to keep it local if I can...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a Howel on my 4.2L CJ8, by far, combined with the HEI upgrade, it was the best upgrade I made to the jeep.

·
'78 CJ5
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a bit of checking around, I'm going with a Fitech easy street 4bbl setup. Seemed to be an all in one setup. The kick in the junk was the cost for the fuel pump setup for an in tank, went with the phantom stealth... parts come in shortly so will keep ya updated. Hoping I can reuse some of my stainless fuel lines instead of scraping too much of them. Any tips on wiring up for the pump, or the tube supply and return, keep the suggestions coming... thanks Y'all!!

·
Are we there yet?
1,993 Posts
After a bit of checking around, I'm going with a Fitech easy street 4bbl setup. Seemed to be an all in one setup. The kick in the junk was the cost for the fuel pump setup for an in tank, went with the phantom stealth... parts come in shortly so will keep ya updated. Hoping I can reuse some of my stainless fuel lines instead of scraping too much of them. Any tips on wiring up for the pump, or the tube supply and return, keep the suggestions coming... thanks Y'all!!

Sounds like a simular setup to the Holly Sniper EFI (https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_efi_bbd_for_jeep_cj/parts/550-858)

I'll be curious to hear how your Fitech setup works.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts