Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the water heater is in the middle of the house. from the heater the pipe goes to the kitchen sink, then to the bathroom faucet/ tub. there is also a pipe that goes away from the house to a utility tub.

i have hot water at the utility tub but no hot water to any other openings. i have cold water to everything. in the kitchen i can close the cold valve and turn the hot water on and it slowly streams out, at about 50 degrees. i have a torpedo heater under the house which seems to be thawing it out a little, but its been running for almost 3 hours.

the pipes are copper and are wrapped with fiberglass insulation, and one is wrapped with a plug in pipe heater. i have it plugged in.

any other suggestions, i dont really wanna cut the insulation off and heat the pipe with a torch or heat gun

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Sure they are frozen or is it just a false alarm?

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
once they unfreeze if you are on a well (so you dont have to pay) let the water just barely run so it wont frezze again

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
heater's not workin because the pipes are insulated and insulation does what its suppose to, insulate the cold pipe from the heat. i would wrap everything in self regulating heat tape (yea i know u said u didn't want to unwrap everything)

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i guess what i am asking is, will the running water eventually clear the pipes out? right now the copper pipes under the house are sweating, atleast one is. i am not sure if its the hot or cold pipe

42,949 Posts
I have some propane torches if you want to take the insulation off and warm them up. then do what hosejockey said. its only going to be below zero again for a couple more days, what will that cost ya, like $1.00?

·
numero douce undela
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have some propane torches if you want to take the insulation off and warm them up. then do what hosejockey said. its only going to be below zero again for a couple more days, what will that cost ya, like $1.00?
yeah. ive got the resources i was just hoping that it would clear itself out. i honestly dont want to crawl back under there and lay around for however long it will take

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
yeah. ive got the resources i was just hoping that it would clear itself out. i honestly dont want to crawl back under there and lay around for however long it will take
i would think that as long as the ambient temp is above 32* in the area where they are, the water passing will melt the rest of the ice inside. Cold water is the best way to warm frozen meat :teehee:

·
787 Posts
3 hour is not that long for pipes to thaw. Mine took 6 hrs. last night to thaw. leave it running with the heater going & just be patient.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts