Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo... My front brakes are SMOKING on my 1998 Jeep Wrangler. Like.. big plumes of smoke.

It was so bad that people were staying back like 500 feet behind me while I was driving down the road.

So today I took both front wheels off, everything looked great on the passenger side. The drivers side everything was covered in black, like it had caught on fire.

So I bought a new drivers side caliper, and I bought new Carbon front brake pads for both sides. Got everything on, it all went on smoothly, everything seemed to be working great.

Took it for a long drive, get back, and the passenger side is smoking like theres a small fire on the caliper, and the drivers side is smoking like half as much.

Everything was put back on right. The sliders were all lubed and checked to make sure they slid, and they did so great. We bled everything... and it all looks fine..

So what could be wrong?

I'm going to go buy a new caliper for the passenger side to see if that helps.. and I guess go from there, but both sides are smoking, I can't imagine one caliper could cause both sides to smoke...

Any suggestions? Could it be the front hub assembly's?

-Brandon

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
your pistons are stuck. you shouldnt be driving like this because your gonna warp your rotors, probably already have. get new calipers and youll be set. just happened to me

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,284 Posts
everything you said sounds like stuck calipers. But it's what you didn't say that has me puzzled. if the brakes were heated up to the point of smoking that much I'd think you would have had greatly reduced stopping ability. If you did that would be valuable information in diagnosing the problem.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your pistons are stuck. you shouldnt be driving like this because your gonna warp your rotors, probably already have. get new calipers and youll be set. just happened to me
When I took my calipers off, the pistons moved in and out without any issues. I replaced the one caliper on the drivers side also.

brewmenn said:
everything you said sounds like stuck calipers. But it's what you didn't say that has me puzzled. if the brakes were heated up to the point of smoking that much I'd think you would have had greatly reduced stopping ability. If you did that would be valuable information in diagnosing the problem.
No, I never lost any stopping ability. On top of that, I was not using my brakes hard either, I was just driving around normally, in stop and go city traffic.

I thought it might be the hubs, but when I looked at the smoke, it was only coming from where the caliper was, which is to one side of the wheel, where I would think it would come from the center if it was the hubs.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Did the brakes feel bad when you were driving it? Did it feel like they were dragging even when you weren't on the brakes? I bet you were getting good gas mileage like that! :sonicjay:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I first started driving it, it felt like it was fixed. It was rolling smoothly, but by the end it did feel like they were dragging..

-Brandon

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Couple of things come to my mind.

First, check your rear brakes and see of they are working.

Second, you didn't say if you got new rotors or had the old ones turned.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
is there a big gouge out of the knuckle where the brake pads ride on it? Maybe they are hanging up. That groove can be filled with weld and filed back smooth if that's the problem.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
When I took my calipers off, the pistons moved in and out without any issues. I replaced the one caliper on the drivers side also.
when you replaced the drivers side caliper did it smoke from that side or not?

·
Living on the Edge
2,077 Posts
is there a big gouge out of the knuckle where the brake pads ride on it? Maybe they are hanging up. That groove can be filled with weld and filed back smooth if that's the problem.
yeah, just had to fix this problem on my dad's XJ.

over yrs of driving and stoping the brake pads caused rough spots in the sliders on the knucle. can be hard to see, but run your finger along the length of the slider on all sides the brake shoe contacts.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
How are the brake lines at the caliper? It sounds to me like you might have a leak, that is spewing fluid and burning off.

·
dave
392 Posts
sounds to me like you need to change the brake hose on that side ,over time the rubber breaks down and they usually rote from the inside out. When they start coming apart on the inside they tend to plug the line at times and sometimes colapse. Oh and flush out your brake fluid u probly boiled it

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The wrong rotor/ hub combo will lock the inner pad to the rotor when the wheel is bolted on.

If any hardware was replaced, make sure the the bolts don't hold the inner pad against the rotor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts