Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need drivers drop front and centered rear. junk yard condition is fine.
must be pretty cheap. would like to swap (or even partial swap) for a ford hi pin 44 front and 9 inch rear from a 79 bronco if possible? i have all the front steering parts, brakes, and radius arms. 9 inch is complete. these are stock 3.50 ratio, junkyard condition. could even do a dana 44 front dana 60 rear??
my tj needs to grow!

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya no welding on the cast for sure. i was gonna keep the radius arm setup. and i still might. ive seen one tj and a grand done this way. re super flex joints on custom radius arms. move frame coil buckets out 2.5 inches. fits pretty well, flexes pretty well. its the nine inch thats killing me with its low pinion, the angle will be extreme for a swb tj. and i cant afford a true hi nine or even a chp. id really like to keep a hi pinion 44 front and find a lp dana 44 rear close to 65 in wms in a 5on5.5 bolt pattern. i thought there was an older scout 44(travelall, or pu) rear 5 on 5.5 that was about 64 wms?? but i could be wrong? i could go waggy 44's but i lose the front hi pinion design. either way im hoping to be stronger in the spring. any ideas yell them out

·
Registered
311 Posts
need drivers drop front and centered rear. junk yard condition is fine.
must be pretty cheap. would like to swap (or even partial swap) for a ford hi pin 44 front and 9 inch rear from a 79 bronco if possible? i have all the front steering parts, brakes, and radius arms. 9 inch is complete. these are stock 3.50 ratio, junkyard condition. could even do a dana 44 front dana 60 rear??
my tj needs to grow!
If you already have a D44, why do you want a differant one? I have two fronts and a rear. But the rear is offset. I would swap you all three for the HI pin D44 front and D60 rear. Is your D44 a drivers drop?

·
825 Posts
got a complete set out of a late 70's scout. 3.73's & open diffs. $350 for the set.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a cast radius arm hi pin 44. its going in a tj. so i can keep it and go radius arm suspension. or get a different one and do tj brackets on a tube. what are yours out of magna?

thx mijeeper but scout stuff is just a hair narrow for me and its pass drop.

·
5,820 Posts
I will probably be pulling mine this winter. you would need to source a low pinion drivers drop housing or just get a high pinion and regear both ends.

they are both pretty much built as much as they can be. I have about 2800 into the front and 1600 into the rear.

pm me if you are interested and we can talk about a price.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thx bryce, but im sure its way out of my price range! or it should be at least!
i didnt realize you could put that much into a dana 44? wow!! ive seen yours work up close and they are sweet! im lookin at rubi housings now too. i got a friend at a stealership, he says 595.00 out the door for an empty housing.
i know they are thinner wall housings, but it will be cheaper in the long run.
and it can be trussed cheaply. i got a cast c ford hp44 also, thinkin about going radius arm suspension like lucas did. still workin out the details.
thx for the spotting at the pig gig too. see ya.

·
5,820 Posts
just an idea of price to get the average "junkyard" axles to a wheelable condition.

r/p-250
bearings-150
seals-50
calipers/disk conversion/pads-250
weld the diffs- 0
balljoints/hubs/ujoints and other stuff is questionable- up to 300

thats 700-1000, that can easily double (or triple or more in my case) as soon as you want to make any upgrades like highsteer, diff covers, strong shafts, etc.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
super 35 kit 859.95, spicer 4.56 gears 174.95, master install kit 89.95, 125.00 labor to set it up for me. $1249.85 plus tax.
its been abused for about 5 years with 36 in swampers, or 35 in mtrs, never had a lick of trouble?? i cant figure it out??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Axles.

Axles..

1978 Ford F250 axles.

Front HP Dana 44 with disc brakes and lockouts

Rear Dana 60, drum to drum.

Both complete, but need cleaned up.

$375 for the set.

Located near Dayton, Ohio

Thanks, Teach