Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Me, I think trusses can be just as much trouble as they are good. Depends on the quality of the part, how closely it fits the axle.

If you have one that doesn't fit well, or isn't welded properly, then you end up warping the axle that your were trying to keep straight.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
The only reason I would truss an axle is if you need to create your own link mounts 6-8" above the axle tube.

·
Registered
629 Posts
x2 on everybodys comments -

maybe it just gives you piece of mind but it seems like one of those items thats in a big gray area of "not enough information to know". its not thats its a bad idea or dosent work, its just really hard to gauge the value against what you actually need.

AND - like Haggar said, that warping thing is no joke. theres a right and a wrong way to install those and youll be looking for an upgrade alot sooner if it gets tweeked. its not that it cant be corrected (sort of) if it warps a little but the whole assembly has a memory from that point on and youll always be screwing around with it.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well ill be running 37in irocks

truss will help keep tubes from flexing
cheap fix till i can buy a d-60 front end

if it breaks its going to the junk pile anyway want to run it by the end of feb.

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
I am def going to be using this truss, I will probably order in a few weeks.

It will help seperate the lowers from the uppers, and I like the pinion guard. Probably will be a minimal strength gain going on a 14bolt but still serves a purpose.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
well ill be running 37in irocks

truss will help keep tubes from flexing
cheap fix till i can buy a d-60 front end

if it breaks its going to the junk pile anyway want to run it by the end of feb.

Seems like you'll destroy the teeny R&P running the gears you'll need to turn 37's (in a D30).

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
Seems like you'll destroy the teeny R&P running the gears you'll need to turn 37's (in a D30).
isnt 4.88 the deepest set you can get for a d30. yogi if you're really going to run a d60 soon i'd put as little money and time as possible into the d30. you might end up breaking stuff with 37's and your driving style but you'll save in the long run.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
isnt 4.88 the deepest set you can get for a d30. yogi if you're really going to run a d60 soon i'd put as little money and time as possible into the d30. you might end up breaking stuff with 37's and your driving style but you'll save in the long run.

For a late model. CJ dana 30s do, or at least did, have aftermarket 5.38 gears available.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts