Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I am doing something.....don't flame me, I have my reasons.

Currently I have a box that triple boots Vista, XP, and Linux. Now I want to make it a quad boot by adding OSX Tiger. Anyone ever do a dual boot with OSX Tiger? It seems that I can't simply install it and set up the boot order. Tiger seems to want to be installed first as it tries to kill the hard drive prior to the install...I don't want that.

Any other options for me? Other than adding another hard drive so Tiger can have that?

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
unfortunately you may not be able to do this. when the newer mac 10 systems you cannot boot off of classic anymore although you can still run it inside of osx. I have tried to get a newer mac to boot off 9.xx but with 10.4.9 it just won't happen. not sure what steps to take either

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Setup it's own partition. You really should have one for every OS you Boot too...
You would think that it would be that easy but it isn't. Now that I have read more, it wants the whole drive, not a partition. Although I am getting sketchy info about how to work around this.

One of the easiest ways seems to be installing it on a external USB drive but that seems like it would be slow. Later tonight I am going to try it on a firewire drive and see how that goes.

He's correct. OSX requires HFS+ partition. If you don't have that, it's going to try and format.

PM me if you still have problems. I work on Mac's for a living.

Steve
Dunno if you'll be able to help Mr. Mac but i'm going to put you on my emergency list just in case. I am installing it on a AMD based PC.

·
CRRRAZZZYYYYY Cooter!
381 Posts
PM me if you have issues. USB2/FW400 should be fine to boot from.Also, AMD should work, have not heard otherwise. If you have done this on the external already, you'll see that it actually adds 6 or 7 partition maps for HFS+. And they have to be at the front of the drive... yes, it's a PITA.. but hey, no one said playing with more than one OS was easy.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, got it working.

Guess what? Tiger looks just like..........well Vista. :tonka:

Well not JUST like, but very very close. Seems to run nice though.

I wonder what video editing performance will be like on a PC running a MAC system.

I know, i'm going to hell for all of this.:sonicjay:

Now I just have to get The Novel client to work on all 4 and i'm all set. Well, except that I have yet to get my printers to work with Linux or Tiger via wireless.

·
CRRRAZZZYYYYY Cooter!
381 Posts
OK, got it working.

Guess what? Tiger looks just like..........well Vista. :tonka:

Well not JUST like, but very very close. Seems to run nice though.

I wonder what video editing performance will be like on a PC running a MAC system.

I know, i'm going to hell for all of this.:sonicjay:

Now I just have to get The Novel client to work on all 4 and i'm all set. Well, except that I have yet to get my printers to work with Linux or Tiger via wireless.
You'll want the Prosoft client for the Mac part.
Printing shouldn't be too much trouble with CUPS built in.

That aint much of a living :tonka:
Actually... It's pretty good. I work for the marketing arm of the vehicle we all drive :stan:

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
tiger was out before vista. mac currently has a suit becuase of the similarities.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
It hasn't been Ross Roy since YJ's were new :stan:

It's BBDO now... and they are still the same users... doesn't matter what company it is. :tonka:
Heh, yeah...it's been that long since I worked there :) And yeah, i bet you work with many of my former colleagues :tonka: .

·
CRRRAZZZYYYYY Cooter!
381 Posts
Doesn't Mac have a 10x beter operating system than DOS?
It's not a matter of what's better. It's a matter of what fits your needs. Choice, is a wonderful thing.

Heh, yeah...it's been that long since I worked there :) And yeah, i bet you work with many of my former colleagues :tonka: .
God help me :stan:

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
It's not a matter of what's better. It's a matter of what fits your needs. Choice, is a wonderful thing.

God help me :stan:

Do you know a man named Stephen that rides his bicycle down Woodward to work? :tonka: Or when its raining his Geo metro or probably prius now.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts