Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,050 Posts
It's a stupid fucking idea using our future tax dollars to buy our votes. We, or our children and grandchildren will have to pay this back with interest.

Use the money to help end the pandemic and the economy will take care of itself.
It's almost like they are using it to end the pandemic by paying people to stay home.
I can see a little bit of both I guess; some helping people who are out of work, some buying votes for November. I feel like this administration in general is more apt to throw money at a problem rather than trying to strategically and scientifically react to and fix it. Maybe there's more strategy to it than I realize, but I doubt it.

That's my feeling. Give money to small businesses to retain employees, give money to citizens to stay home = Virus gone.

Sadly I think too many people are working and it will still spread. I have 2 friends who are machine tool repair men, they are still working. I don't see how this is an essential service. Another friend works for a company that makes components for truck accessories. (caps, tonneau covers, step bars, etc.) I didn't think this was essential either....
TruckHero? They're still running their plant in Ann Arbor at full capacity from what I'm told. I used to work there and still have quite a few friends who do, most of them are IRATE about it. Despite ownership's claims they are absolutely 100% not essential and are putting countless people at risk to keep building truck accessories. But executive management there is awful and only cares about the dollar signs and looking good for the investors. They've been bleeding people for years because of it and moves like this will only add to it. The thought crossed my mind that maybe they were trying to stay open to not have to lay off or furlough employees, but that's not how those guys operate. They'd kick 10 employees off a cliff to raise their EBITDA .01%. I'm hoping with the amount of attention they're drawing with it that they get hit with some well-deserved hefty fines.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/03/26/coronavirus-michigan-essential-workers/2908895001/

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
I can see a little bit of both I guess; some helping people who are out of work, some buying votes for November. I feel like this administration in general is more apt to throw money at a problem rather than trying to strategically and scientifically react to and fix it. Maybe there's more strategy to it than I realize, but I doubt it.

TruckHero? They're still running their plant in Ann Arbor at full capacity from what I'm told. I used to work there and still have quite a few friends who do, most of them are IRATE about it. Despite ownership's claims they are absolutely 100% not essential and are putting countless people at risk to keep building truck accessories. But executive management there is awful and only cares about the dollar signs and looking good for the investors. They've been bleeding people for years because of it and moves like this will only add to it. The thought crossed my mind that maybe they were trying to stay open to not have to lay off or furlough employees, but that's not how those guys operate. They'd kick 10 employees off a cliff to raise their EBITDA .01%. I'm hoping with the amount of attention they're drawing with it that they get hit with some well-deserved hefty fines.
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/03/26/coronavirus-michigan-essential-workers/2908895001/
Someone needs to report them. People worry about martial law with the National Guard, well assholes like this would be the reason that would happen. Stop being so damn greedy.

·
Yooper In Training
7,050 Posts
Someone needs to report them. People worry about martial law with the National Guard, well assholes like this would be the reason that would happen. Stop being so damn greedy.
I'd be shocked if they haven't been reported numerous times already.

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
I have a gas dryer for sale, from my old house. New house is electric so no longer need it.
Gotcha. We will need a new washer as well, it's only slightly better off then the dryer. So we might as well get a matching set.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
i'm considering buying a new gun with my free money.

But the wife wants to put it towards a new furnace.

so guess what i'm buying?

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts

A furnace

·
Yooper In Training
7,050 Posts

Kill two birds with one stone; buy a flamethrower.

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,280 Posts
TruckHero? They're still running their plant in Ann Arbor at full capacity from what I'm told.
The employee lot was full when I drove by last Thursday. It definitely was a WTF moment, but thought they might have a DoD or public safety contract they're using to justify staying open.

·
Yooper In Training
7,050 Posts
The employee lot was full when I drove by last Thursday. It definitely was a WTF moment, but thought they might have a DoD or public safety contract they're using to justify staying open.
They don't have any valid reasons, they're manipulating the system. I saw the memo they sent to employees, they claim their product is critical to secure cargo for first responders, construction, cleaning companies, repair and maintenance, etc. Yes because in a pandemic buying a new tonneau cover and floormats are essential to preserve life. All they're doing is preserving the exec's bonuses.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
They don't have any valid reasons, they're manipulating the system. I saw the memo they sent to employees, they claim their product is critical to secure cargo for first responders, construction, cleaning companies, repair and maintenance, etc. Yes because in a pandemic buying a new tonneau cover and floormats are essential to preserve life. All they're doing is preserving the exec's bonuses.
and everyone else's paychecks............

Not saying that staying open is the right thing to do, but more than the exec's are getting the benefit of not being laid off.

·
Gustafson
9,046 Posts
Not to mention putting peoples lives at risk...

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
so they're claiming that since auto parts are essential, and they make stuff that go in autos....they're essential?

wow

·
Yooper In Training
7,050 Posts
and everyone else's paychecks............

Not saying that staying open is the right thing to do, but more than the exec's are getting the benefit of not being laid off.
Yeah I'm aware of that aspect, but that's never why the man behind the curtain does anything. He'd kick 10 of those people off the water tower to get an extra point on his shares. I have zero problems with capitalism and making money, but the execs there have a long history of screwing the employees every chance they get. Yes, the shop employees will continue getting paychecks for a little longer at the front end of the thing. But because of actions like that dragging this mess out even longer, they're very likely going to be without a paycheck much longer at the tail end instead.

Not sure about the MI facilities, But I work at a THI facility in GA that was formerly Lund. We are re-purposing some of our equipment to produce masks and face-shields, as well as creating barriers for grocery stores and convenience stores to shield the employees and customers.
That's honorable and respectable, I commend you guys for it. Keep up the good work. Extang is building tonneau covers.

so they're claiming that since auto parts are essential, and they make stuff that go in autos....they're essential?

wow
Yep pretty much. Lots of companies are doing that right now unfortunately.

Look, I get it. Keeping businesses running, people employed, and trying to help the economy is a good thought. But doing so for non-essential businesses right now, even if you find a way to skirt the rules and do so "legally", goes against the spirit of the executive order and what it's trying to accomplish. It's short sighted and selfish and will make the situation worse for everyone, not just those you're directly putting in harm's way. Needlessly bringing people together and exposing them to one another is going to add to the problem, add to the spread, and drag this thing out even longer. It's making it that much harder to flatten the curve. Stronger actions earlier to nip it in the bud and shut it down would put everybody back to work sooner and help raise the economy back up. That's the entire point of this, like peeling off a bandaid.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Yeah I'm aware of that aspect, but that's never why the man behind the curtain does anything. He'd kick 10 of those people off the water tower to get an extra point on his shares. I have zero problems with capitalism and making money, but the execs there have a long history of screwing the employees every chance they get. Yes, the shop employees will continue getting paychecks for a little longer at the front end of the thing. But because of actions like that dragging this mess out even longer, they're very likely going to be without a paycheck much longer at the tail end instead.

That's honorable and respectable, I commend you guys for it. Keep up the good work. Extang is building tonneau covers.

Yep pretty much. Lots of companies are doing that right now unfortunately.

Look, I get it. Keeping businesses running, people employed, and trying to help the economy is a good thought. But doing so for non-essential businesses right now, even if you find a way to skirt the rules and do so "legally", goes against the spirit of the executive order and what it's trying to accomplish. It's short sighted and selfish and will make the situation worse for everyone, not just those you're directly putting in harm's way. Needlessly bringing people together and exposing them to one another is going to add to the problem, add to the spread, and drag this thing out even longer. It's making it that much harder to flatten the curve. Stronger actions earlier to nip it in the bud and shut it down would put everybody back to work sooner and help raise the economy back up. That's the entire point of this, like peeling off a bandaid.
Well you know these folks and it sucks they are this way. For our company, policy is that insurance ends the day or month (I'm not sure) that you get laid off. So lots of folks are without insurance if they get laid off. It's a double edges sword for sure.

I'd be curious if the company in question has any letters from customer calling them essential? We have several steel mills who have sent letters telling us that we can't shut down. Does that make us essential? In the eyes of steel mills, yes. In the eyes of the gov't? I don't know.

I have the good fortune of huddling in my office with the windows cracked. I use hand sanitizer wipes on everything I touch - multiple times per day.

·
Yooper In Training
7,050 Posts
Well you know these folks and it sucks they are this way. For our company, policy is that insurance ends the day or month (I'm not sure) that you get laid off. So lots of folks are without insurance if they get laid off. It's a double edges sword for sure.

I'd be curious if the company in question has any letters from customer calling them essential? We have several steel mills who have sent letters telling us that we can't shut down. Does that make us essential? In the eyes of steel mills, yes. In the eyes of the gov't? I don't know.

I have the good fortune of huddling in my office with the windows cracked. I use hand sanitizer wipes on everything I touch - multiple times per day.
I'll give them credit that they did send many employees who could to work from home, although not as early as many companies did. They've since furloughed the majority of them. Many of their plants throughout the country are now shut down, but none happened until the local government told them specifically that they had to. I expect the same to happen in Ann Arbor sooner or later.

They service some OEMs, so they've probably got a letter. So do we, and we got one, although it's very broad, very vague, and absolutely not accurate in many cases. It's not so much a legal issue at that point as it is a moral one for reasons I already covered. We could legally be working, and it would be a huge short term financial benefit for the company and employees. But it would go against what the government is trying to accomplish, drag this thing out longer, and likely have worse longterm effects. I just wish more companies and even just individuals would understand this instead of not looking past next week.

The insurance concern is a valid one, and one I share since I expect to be furloughed myself before too long. At minimum extended COBRA coverage is legally required to be available to any of us. It's pretty expensive though since it's no longer got a sizeable employer contribution, so I'm hopeful that many companies will take it upon themselves to find a way to extend/subsidize coverage in those scenarios, and/or government and private insurance step in to help. A nice part about COBRA also, is that you don't have to sign up right away. IIRC it's retroactive up to 60 days from last employment. So basically you don't pay anything if you don't intend to use it, but if you unfortunately end up needing it on day 59, you'd pay the coverage at that point and be insured.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts