Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
just floor it!
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 88 XJ 4 door that i was thinking about putting a frame under it?:confused: But im not sure what frames would be good fits under an XJ. If anyone has any ideas or know's what they are talking about then i would like some idea's or info. Thanks guy's.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
What's the goal of the frame? Mounting suspension etc. or stiffining the chassis? If it's for stiffining you could go with subframe connectors or through the floor subframe connectors. Or go with a cage. Lots of options but what are you trying to achieve?

·
likes him some Red Dog
2,268 Posts
I may be wrong, but I can't possibly imagine putting a another vehicle's frame under an XJ unibody and have it turn out anything other than ghetto...

Unless the goal is BDMT, in which case I suppose there are no rules (or taste :teehee:)

·
just floor it!
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The main idea was stronger suspension, lift, and a srtong enough frame to handle a big block 440.

Remember guy's this is still in the idea stage and very open to changes. The only way i would want to do it is if i can find a frame that fits closely to the unibody.

The alt. idea is to box in the unibody and weld it all together for the strength.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
plating the 'frame' and a cage goes a long way. dont use a frame, i have seen one and it dont look the greatest. its a BDMT. do some research on pirate, they are cleaning up the cherokee section for some good tech info on the unibody stuff, etc

·
just floor it!
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be checking into this more b4 i just start hacking away. I think i might just take the time to box it in. I just wanted to see if it had been done and if so how good they worked.

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts
I may be wrong, but I can't possibly imagine putting a another vehicle's frame under an XJ unibody and have it turn out anything other than ghetto...

Unless the goal is BDMT, in which case I suppose there are no rules (or taste :teehee:)
plating the 'frame' and a cage goes a long way. dont use a frame, i have seen one and it dont look the greatest. its a BDMT. do some research on pirate, they are cleaning up the cherokee section for some good tech info on the unibody stuff, etc
Box and strenthen what's there.

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
By adding a separate frame under it, you have effectively removed any advantages you may have by using an XJ to begin with (light weight,cost, ease of suspension modifications) At that point, you might as well just as well use whatever rig you would use the frame from. Alternately, you could cut out everything inside the rocker panels, find a 100-104" WB frame and build a cage on it, and then drop the gutted XJ shell over it, basically building something similar to a full chassis drag car.

But personally, I would just forget about swapping a 440 into an XJ for a trail rig.

·
just floor it!
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 440 is not for rock crawlin or to much trail, i think i will just box it and go the light way. Maybe some sand draggin and a tiny bit of mud boggin?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts