Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking into taking my 89 body and putting it on an 86 frame. just curious if it is even remotely possible. I know it would take alot of work so just wondering if anyone else has done this.

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
should be almost a direct bolt on. might need to tweak some of the brackets but i think it should line up pretty good.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
another question i was thinking was should i stick with the fuel injected motor or go with the carbed motor thats on the frame already. i would like to have the fuel injected motor and didnt think i would be to hard to do...unless im over looking somthing.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Why do you want to do this? Your frame now is stronger then a 1986 Frame. I would just make Solid axle brackets and put them on your frame.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was looking into that too but i cant really find any good pics or anything of the brackets so i know how to make them... and then i have to find axles that the pumpkin is on the drivers side. i dont have a ton of money so im trying to make this as cheap as possible. any advice would help thanks.

·
Keep on truckin
5,937 Posts
if you don't have money. just wait till you get some. sasing a truck is not a cheap thing to do unless you happen to have everything you need just laying around which few people rarely do. your going to need a new front axle, leaf springs, shock mounts, steering correction plus bracketry to do it all.

·
2,364 Posts
wrong two different body styles
x's 2
it is a total pain in azz. i did it once "NEVER" again axil swap 10x's easyer and way way less work. 88 and newer frame way wider where cab sits ect. real nitemare to do. a whole lot more fab work. nothin matches up at all as far as any mounts on box, cab, or core suport. as far as front axil goes rather get a drivers drop like a ford or any other that is. or change transfercase to a older pass drop if want to stick with chevy front axil.

·
YJ now
1,408 Posts
If you have the t-case from the 86, that would be easy to swap, both trucks should be 700r4 trans, if there autos. Also sky manufacturing is good place to get solid axle swap brackets. Several people on her have done solid axle swaps on these trucks, just do a little searching.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my truck is a stick shift and the 86 tranny is a 400 turbo, dont know if that matters any but i figured i would look into that too. i checked out sky manufacturing and im thinking of going that way with the chevy axles as long as i can swap the transfer cases.

·
Registered
496 Posts
All you need is a dana 44 out of a 78-79 F250. This will give you the 31.5 ( beleive that the right measurement) inch spring center. If you want to keep a 6 lug, you can get Dana 44 knuckle/hub from a chevy (I have heard front 10 bolt knuckles and hubs will work to but not sure). Pics of brackets can be seen here http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/images/products/64_1167422518.jpg These ones will give you 6 inches in lift BEFORE springs, HOWEVER, I have seen people redrill the front brackets to move the spring move up, this will give you about 4 inches in brackets, use a 4 inch spring and give you 8 inch. Also need one of these http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new/detaproduct.php?id=173 for steering. Hope this helps any other info let me know. I want to and have a few plans for my truck when I get my 69 Camaro is done.
There are better SAS kits out there but if your on a budget these are your best bet.

·
Registered
496 Posts
didnt relize you mentioned Sky. but use a ford axle. Less head aches then swaping t cases. Unless you want the auto and t case from the 86. If you need info PM me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts