Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any special tools needed to change upper and lower ball joints on a bronco ttb front end.

also any major issues people have run in to i should be ready for.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
spindle hub can be a bitch if its siezed on.....and whatever socket is needed for whatever style hub/bearing retaining nuts you have

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
for the ball joints, a standard c clamp press is all you need.

Use a block of wood and a mini sledge if the splindle sticks.

A pickle fork is all you should need to get the knuckle off, only on the bottom joint.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
for the ball joints, a standard c clamp press is all you need.

Use a block of wood and a mini sledge if the splindle sticks.

A pickle fork is all you should need to get the knuckle off, only on the bottom joint.
Meh, I simply use a long drift (piece of 1" dia copper) and a heavy hammer to pound the joints out of the knuckle.....no press needed

·
302 powered
15 Posts
i know they make a special press that is pretty much a super heavy duty c-clamp with a hole in the bottom for the ball joint to fall out. they are handy because they can handle an impact wrench.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
i know they make a special press that is pretty much a super heavy duty c-clamp with a hole in the bottom for the ball joint to fall out. they are handy because they can handle an impact wrench.
so the do not use impact sticker is lying to me?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Don't know about others, but I ALWAYS use my impact gun with my snap-on ball joint press....who the hell (that does this for a living) uses a ball joint press by hand?? Hell, even the snap on guy was using one when he demo'd their new press a few years back:confused:

And BTW...the "no press needed" comment I made earlier applies to the removal of old ball joints - you'll need it to put the new ones in.....

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
never was one on mine, I've had it for years, in professional use, and never had an issue with using an impact...

only problem I ever had with mine was when I loaned it to somebody that said they knew how to use it...turns out he didnt...so he paid to get the parts replaced...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Originally Posted by Fraser

Might be true on the $30 Harbor Freight press.
I have had an OTC press for 25 years no problems. If you do not have an impact throw the ball joints in the freezer overnight they will go in easier.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Originally Posted by Fraser

Might be true on the $30 Harbor Freight press.
thats what i had :teehee: the c-clamp got bent during the install of a lower ball joint on a full size chevy:teehee:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts