Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 95 ranger with an 8.8 that came with it new from the factory. It has 10" brakes.

I was wondering how I would be able to know if I have 28 splines or 31 splines?. without having to take stuff apart. Is there a set year when Ford switched to the 31 splines?

·
Ranger Addiction?
2,064 Posts
You have 28 spline axles. The only Rangers that come with 31 spline axles are ones with the FX4 package. Explorers to my knowledge only came in 31 spline.

The 28 spline axles are still plenty strong. The shafts are still the same diameter.

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
You have 28 spline axles. The only Rangers that come with 31 spline axles are ones with the FX4 package. Explorers to my knowledge only came in 31 spline.

The 28 spline axles are still plenty strong. The shafts are still the same diameter.
the shafts are tiny on a 27 vs a 31 as well as the axle tubes and the outer wheel bearings (at the wheel) are also much smaller.

all explorers 31 spline

fx4 31 spline

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

·
Ranger Addiction?
2,064 Posts

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, the 28spline is good enough for me especially if I leave it 2wd. plus I am not a hardcore wheeler. I just bounce around silver lake and mounds, nothing major.

Thanks fo rthe info though :d:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.