Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Silver Lake
6,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me explain first before I get called a dumbass. I have a 2.5 ton floor jack that was handed down to me from my deceased grandfather. I've had the thing since I was 3 (guess I requested it when he died), I'm know 27. Anyhow, it has worked flawlessly for over the years untill I let my neighbor borrow it the other day. Somehow he bent the part that raises up in the middle. It's twisted pretty good. Can anyone help me in repairing this? He is going to foot the bill and said that "he had someone that could fix it" but I don't really trust that. I really hate to throw this out being that it's one of the only things I have left of my grandfather. Any ideas?

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Can you take a pic of the part? I'd be happy to help try to fab something. Might take a while, but could be done, I'm sure..

·
Silver Lake
6,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you take a pic of the part? I'd be happy to help try to fab something. Might take a while, but could be done, I'm sure..
Yea, I can get pictures tonight. I looked for a model number to see if I could just order a new center section, but all of the tags are gone :(

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Sucks good that this site has good people to help you out.

When I was at Roush one of the other test engineers snapped a little 1/4 drive breaker bar that was my Gpa's. I calmly explained it to him and asked him to replace it (it was craftsman) he refused said the company should take care of it. I almost beat his ass right there didn't talk to him for the last 1 1/2 that I was there.

My brother-in-law was the last straw keyed into my garage went in my toolbox and was going to loan something to a neighbor. I told him never to do it again that it was worth then banging my wife :)

rosie out

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I never let anyone use any of my dad's tools for that reason. I don't think I've had anything break or lost but still, I'd rather you break my own tools than something that holds sentimental value.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
I think I have just 1 main heirloom tool, which is a big bench vise, its been in the family for over 100 years I think, and isn't likely to be damaged. Of all of my tools, the only one I don't lend out is my framing hammer, which I used for 2 years in construction. Its the only one I have any attachment to.

Trav, since there aren't pics.. is it a piece thats flat or welded/formed from flat steel, or is it a machined part?

·
Silver Lake
6,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I have just 1 main heirloom tool, which is a big bench vise, its been in the family for over 100 years I think, and isn't likely to be damaged. Of all of my tools, the only one I don't lend out is my framing hammer, which I used for 2 years in construction. Its the only one I have any attachment to.

Trav, since there aren't pics.. is it a piece thats flat or welded/formed from flat steel, or is it a machined part?
Looks like mostly flat steel to me. There are a couple tubes where it looks like heavy duty pins hold that piece to the base of the jack. Looks like the main bends are in the what use to be flat pieces.

Bump back up for pics

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,754 Posts
wtf did he do drive off it or drive over it?

·
Monkey Crawler
8,114 Posts
You don't have to lie about how it got broke. I know that you were lifting the pallet/crate of watermelons up into the XJ again :tonka:

Anyway I think we have one just like it in the warehouse somewhere at work. I will look tomorrow and if it the same or even looks like it you can have it :thumb:

·
Silver Lake
6,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't have to lie about how it got broke. I know that you were lifting the pallet/crate of watermelons up into the XJ again :tonka:

Anyway I think we have one just like it in the warehouse somewhere at work. I will look tomorrow and if it the same or even looks like it you can have it :thumb:
Butler, that would be awesome :woot: :nana:
You can call me as many racist names as you like for the rest of my life if you have one :thumb:

·
DrivewayJeeper
10,957 Posts
Sucks good that this site has good people to help you out.

When I was at Roush one of the other test engineers snapped a little 1/4 drive breaker bar that was my Gpa's. I calmly explained it to him and asked him to replace it (it was craftsman) he refused said the company should take care of it. I almost beat his ass right there didn't talk to him for the last 1 1/2 that I was there.

My brother-in-law was the last straw keyed into my garage went in my toolbox and was going to loan something to a neighbor. I told him never to do it again that it was worth then banging my wife :)

rosie out

fram_boy?

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
fram_boy?
huh I spelled nearly everything right I just hate periods :miff:

Holy hell did he trash your jack. You have to get the arm off of the main frame if you want to repair it. Might as well start there get the main pivot pin out etc.. You might be able to heat and bend them flat again.

fram_boy out :tonka:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts