Started the H55f swap the other day, as well as the rear end rebuild. Pulled the bellhousing to check the cam plug, as they are known to leak on the 2F engine. It looked fine but the rear main was seeping so I'm installing a new one.
The H55 came with a vacuum shift T-case and I want mechanical, so I'm splitting apart my stock one. The H55 is a bit longer, because my truck is a pre-oct 84 build. So some shifter modification will be required. I may be able to rob parts from my 86 parts truck too. We'll see!
Trans is in, and with a manual t-case. I used the stock 84 case, swapped flanges for the large ones off the vacuum case, and used the t-case shift linkage off the 86 parts truck. Because of my pre-Oct 84 truck with a short trans, the stock shifter wouldn't work. The H55 is basically the same as the stock four speed but has this external overdrive box. You can see the long bolt on top. I needed a few of the longer bolts from the newer t-case.
When I had everything apart I replaced the main seal between the trans and case.
Several online write-ups claim the trans shift tower hole is too far forward on the pre-Oct 84 floor hump. I did not find this to be the case, but I did find the t-case lever was. Using the 86 lever worked out without having to cut the floor. I did notice my trans cover is white, apparently off another truck (possibly newer) but the 86 and H55 parts truck shifter boots were a different shape so I retained my "possibly original" 84 boot.
Stock narrow style trans crossmember bolted right up. Plenty of clearance for the front driveshaft too, which also is not the case on other peoples trucks.
Lastly, I discarded the unneeded tin "braces" for the T-case linkage as they really were just in the way. But for some reason I gained a 2wd low range position. Maybe this is shifter adjustment? Seems to work so I'll probably leave it alone.
Today's project was to finish putting the rear axle back together. This included new 5.29 gears, and an Aussie locker. I ran into the same crosspin issue that I did the first time I built this axle. The thick ring gear won't allow room to install it. Many people grind the ring gear for clearance but I'm not a fan of how much material needed to be removed. So like I did last time, I ground the pin into a "D" shape.
Problem with my "D" pin in an Aussie locker is it no longer allows the pin to hold in the cap for the C-clip on the left side. So my solution was to cut a slot in the end of the pin. This allowed the insertion of a flat screwdriver to turn the pin 90 degrees counterclockwise. My initial thought was to redrill the pin retainer bolt hole but the hardened pin proved difficult to drill, plus there was not a lot of meat to do this. So some simple tack welds hold it in place.
After I finished the axle I moved on to fabricating some bumpstops, hoping to keep my boggers from mating with my fenders. Fire Marshall Rollbarbob stood fire duty as I finished the welds next to the gas tank.
I didn't take a pic after, but as a final touch I coated them with bedliner.
Last project this eve was swapping out the driveshaft flanges for the late large pattern. I noticed the one on the back of the T-case was tight and I have had bearing noise in the past. After taking the rear housing off a few times I finally figured out there is a shim under the race. After removing it, tolerances were perfect.
Fingers crossed that tomorrow I should have this buckled up!
Just test drove it. That H55 is so much smoother than the old four speed. I don't care for the popping and clicking of the rear Aussie locker. It will work for now but I have different plans for the rear in the future.
Installed a Smittybuilt YJ security console. I meant to order the stereo model to mount my CB but accidentally ordered the wrong part number. I think I like if more with the longer armrest and interior space. Still plenty of room to mount the CB on the side.
I also removed the old lowjack style security system that consisted of a few hundred wires and relays.
A last minute surprise was a leaking oil cooler so if got disconnected and bypassed.
Drove the old girl about 60 miles tonight and all is good. Just need to rewire winch tomorrow and I can load up for this weekend's Gitchee Gumee trip!
A few photos of the old girl in action at Gitchee Gumee 2015. Everything worked very well. It handled rocks better than expected. At the end of day one the clutch master cylinder started leaking profusely under the dash. We filled it with power steering fluid to swell the seals and for the thicker viscosity. This worked for about 24 hours before blowing out again, which was just enough to finish the event. A tree removed a headlight and a boulder moved in my drivers rear quarter panel but all in all she is no worse for wear.