Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
the cat disintigrated inside.....i've been running it without the guts but now it seems like its building up pressure inside of the holow cat. now for the question......

does it hurt the engine or gas milage to run it without the cat with a strait pipe?

i would like to strait pipe it cause its cheaper but i dont wanna screw anything up

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Shouldn't be building pressure inside of a empty cat. Now, what might have happened is that the cat fell apart and it went into your muffler or your pipe and that is where it is causing problems. Happens quite a bit.

This is a cat I replaced...you can see right through it.

But this is what I found in the pipe between the cat and the muffler. I had to replace everything from the cat back.

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
when i got the jeep the muffler was rusted off from half way through the muffler back. so i cut off the old muffler and clamped a cheapo autozone special on just go get by.....well it kept falling off and was pissing me off......then i let the g/f drive it and it started rattleing pretty bad....so in the midst of me going to put the muffler back on i found that the cat was shattered inside. i was gonna just pulle it off and bolt on a piece of pipe but the bolts stripped. decided to leave it on and hollow it out. i broke it all up with my jack handle started it and blew it out could see into the end of the exhaust manifold so i figured it was good, bolted the new muffler on and it was fine....till about 2 weeks ago it started poping had my buddy drive and i stuck my head under it (i know dumb move but im hilbilly and had to see what was happenin) and saw it puffing at the flange between the cat and the manifold. so i figured it was just building up pressure and poping it out there when i shifted

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
Not to flame you but it's giong to run better with a strait pipe than the hollowede out cat 4 strokes dont need expansion chambers

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not to flame you but it's giong to run better with a strait pipe than the hollowede out cat 4 strokes dont need expansion chambers
lol......i figured it would prolly run better with the strait pipe.....but i didn't know if it would hurt anything.....it was either strait pipe it or put a new cat on it......and was lookin at the recalls and there was a recall that was never complied with on my jeep with the cat.....i figure its a free cat most likely

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Some people would say "If you got a cat recall, get it done, then take the brand new cat off and sell it."

Not me...but some people would say that. :)

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
the only problems ive saw w/ no cats was with the trailing o2 sensor on my buddys 98 cherokee, it tripped teh service engine soon light, and i think it ran kinda iffy. im running my 1987 w/o one and its doin fine, besides it runnin kinda rough b/c of the almost 300,000 miles and the four year sit it had without being ran, b/c it only has one o2 sensor, at the manifold

·
8,046 Posts
92 Yj should only have 1 o2 sensor.
and it's b-4 the cat.

My yj has been catless for a long time, Muddypaws took it off for me.:tonka: Some say the loss of the cat gets stinky in the jeep. I haven't noticed.

I took it off, Muddypaws would have to go to bigcuntry's jail if he did it.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
hahahahahahhahahahahahaaaaaa

Yea, umm....I have ridden in a Jeep and it had no cat, and it was stinky. So umm...the owner....had to put turn outs in the back to make the exhaust exit out the sides behind the rear tires under the bumper on both sides to keep the stink out of the inside.

·
8,046 Posts

Yea, umm....I have ridden in a Jeep and it had no cat, and it was stinky. So umm...the owner....had to put turn outs in the back to make the exhaust exit out the sides behind the rear tires under the bumper on both sides to keep the stink out of the inside.
You forgot....

and smash them flat on really big rocks.:sonicjay:

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts

4.3's are notorious for being stinky with no cat

1 - 17 of 17 Posts