Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crashed TWICE on the Blue loop at Island Lake State Recreation Area today. Freakin' awesome. So much fun launching myself over the handle bars and then crashing into a tree a mile later.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Ouch, Island lake is fun..how come you let it beat you up like that?

jk

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:sonicjay:

You even have the lance armstrong glasses.

nice trek
Those are my safety glasses from working on cars at school. :sonicjay: I'm not spending all that money on cycling glasses when my safety glasses only cost $10.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
I got the same trek and I had the same scars after biking. I was a little sober at the time so I'm thinking I was at a disadvantage.

·
SlowBalt SS
2,493 Posts
Looks like fun! I think when i go back to work(hopefully soon) im going to get a new mountain bike.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
After you get more familiar with the bike, you should ride Highland Rec Area. Very technical/tight/twisty, and a LOT of fun.

Craig

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where do you crash at island lake?
Its so...flat.
Large area of deep, loose sand the first time, then on a steep, twisty, hard-pack hill the second time (I drifted the rear and clipped a tree on the very last curve).

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After you get more familiar with the bike, you should ride Highland Rec Area. Very technical/tight/twisty, and a LOT of fun.

Craig
I think it'll be a long time before I'm ready for Highland. :)

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts

Craig
I grew up in a 1970s sub right next to Highland Rec. Spent many years running/riding the trails in, and around that area, and honestly don't recall anything that would be considered difficult.

That being said, it's been 20 years since I was in that park, did they build/blaze anything since then?

special note for winter: the back side of the old Ford skill hill inside the park used to have natural run-off channels that funneled down to teeple lake - in the winter, they made neat sledding runs, as they were deeply dished like bob-sled runs, only straight (and bumpy)

·
I have an avatar. Yippee.
4,282 Posts
At least you're having fun. :beer:

I'm going there after work today. I have a perfect damage score for this year- I've managed to bleed during every biking trip. I haven't been to Island Lake in a few years, we'll see what happens.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
At least you're having fun. :beer:

I'm going there after work today. I have a perfect damage score for this year- I've managed to bleed during every biking trip. I haven't been to Island Lake in a few years, we'll see what happens.
LOL, There's a great lip to launch off of in the parking lot - I'll have you crashing there. :tonka:

Don't make me bring out photos of my slickrock injury - it ain't pretty. :d:

1 - 20 of 86 Posts