Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

First Gen 4runner

51K views 298 replies 16 participants last post by  Jrgunn5150 
#1 ·
Since I punted my XJ because my niece didn't want it, and I put a big dent in the wifes brand new WK2 at Land Between the Lakes, I thought I'd get another wheeler/DD.

So when this 4runner came up on marketplace for 1200, I pounced. Apparently a bunch of people flaked, surprise, but the second day I was able to get it.

I guess the hood is a repo the dude just never painted.

Had a blown fusible link and isn't firing the fuel pump when cranking. It's an 88, 22re, auto, 91k on it.

Pulled it home without issue,

Jumped the main relay, hot wired the pump, drove it off the trailer. Pretty excited, I've always wanted one.

Parking brake seems to be dragging, blew the main brake line to the rear driving off the trailer, I did run it up to 60 to make sure it goes through all the gears, it's pretty ok. I'll probably drive it down to the house next weekend, pull the tank, fix the brake line, and coat the frame, which is all present and accounted for amazingly.

See less See more
#95 ·
Giant picture dump, much progress attained this weekend.

Engine installed. To recapp, this was a 22re/auto. I moved the R150 V6 trans back 4" on it's factory R150 crossmember, then mated the engine and trans to locate the mounts fore/aft.

Little concerned about the downpipe, at a minimum I'm going to have to move/relocate the brake lines, not a huge deal, don't really mind that, I think the factory Toyota system is stupid anyway. I may wind up with a body lift though, which will help almost everything, except they look dumb.

#96 ·
When I went to cut the hole for the shifters, I found out that a 4" setback lands the R150 right in the auto hole lol.

This also had a rear shift transfer case previously, top shift now.

I fitted an ammo can I have here as a console, I think I like it better than the console.

There's a bunch of damage from the carpet and wet feet on the drivers side floor, so no more carpet in here I guess.

#101 ·
Just the starter, it's all mechanical. Well, and alternator. Not much.

In related news, my trips to the junkyard paid off, I spotted a first gen Cummins grille, unbroken. Paid 25 dollars, listed it for 350, sold it in 8 hours...

So that will pay for my turbo upgrade lol.

#105 ·
Yeah, I leave "money" in the junkyard pretty frequently really, idk why I'd pass this up though, it was already pulled and everything lol.

That hurt my brain for a second there. I was trying to figure out what you were building and how you were going to get the grill to fit in that hole. Then I read it.
Agree with grey, on your investment. Better that cryptocurrency.
Used that to finance my fancy turbo upgrade and intercooler lol.

So yeah, why isn't it running already? :D
No fuel system or oil system yet. Mostly waiting on the bracket that locates the fuel filter head so I can continue making lines, been waiting two weeks, don't expect to see it this week either... But it's a niche market, and this is a dude in a pole barn in Nebraska, not Amazon, so I can't complain much yet.

Also, the starter had the threads stripped, I just put two helicoils in it yesterday, we'll see how it fits when it stops raining to see if I can use it as is or if I get another.

I'd like to at least crank it this week before I haul it back up to storage.

#107 ·
love to see you using the welding trick to pull sleeves. Works great on bearing races as well.

This will be a fun rig once done. You are of course going with a hood stack....with a flapper...rite? lol.
:ROFLMAO: That's hilarious

#108 ·
I would totally run a hood exit if my wife wasn't such a weenie.

Today at US Auto in Sterling Heights I found this gem plucked and waiting, so I asked at the desk, they didn't know who's it was, so I bought it as a core lol.

Just for more Toyota funds
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Mode of transport Naval architecture Asphalt

#110 ·
As far as I could detective out, it's an 01 5.3 from a Yukon. It has return style rails, a DBW throttlebody, flex injectors, which narrows it down to 2000-2002, then there was one Yukon that fit that description sitting out in the yard missing the engine. Once I have a chance to unload it and get a reasonable assessment of it, I'll shoot you a PM. I'll probably throw some injectors on it, a PCM, and fire it on a stand for YouTube footage before I sincerely try to sell it.

In 4runner news, the lack of bracket to hold my accessories, which includes the fuel filter, is holding up progress at the moment. I need to make soft lines, but they're actually not super soft and kind of brittle, so it would really be best to have everything firmly mounted.

#114 ·
What happened at work? Tired of Chrysler? :ROFLMAO:
Kind of got tired of the rat race...

Really questioned why I spend so much time going to work and what my goals are. I think I'd like to pursue a different path.

In other news, after days of fighting priming and finding out I had messed the timing up, because if you don't account for the chain tensioner, it yanks the cam 10 degrees once it has oil pressure... Fun.

So, I present, a bad picture of my butt, and a running diesel 4runner!

#121 ·
I wish, but sadly, it's not to be.

Most likely, I screwed something up when I modified the pickup.

Passages are all clear, even put a scope down the pump feed from where it comes out the block to the filter. Fluid easily passes in either direction as well.

Overfilled it by 3 quarts, so the level was over the entire oil pump, back filled it from the pump feed out, no joy. Not moving a drop of oil.

I can easily take the rear half off in chassis, and I did that, three times... Seems to be moving fine, nothing there obstructing it, seems fine.

But, the pump is either not pumping, or has a leak, or the bypass is immediately, fully opening.

I can't do anything else with it in the chassis, so I'll pull it tomorrow and stick it back on the stand and figure it out.

#125 ·
So, what I've learned is, the pump easily, readily, quickly pumps fluid when the shaft is spun, no priming, no scuba gear needed.

Looking at the input shaft on the oil pump, you'd think a drive pin or something goes there.

However, looking at the sprocket, there's no place for a pin to nest within it.

So... I think the intent of that split, is to allow the bolt to force it open and lock the sprocket on the taper.

I believe I have the wrong bolt, and the chain was spinning, and the sprocket was spinning, but just sitting on the shaft spinning.

I'll know more when the new pump arrives Thursday.

#128 ·
I guess I forgot to update again, seems the gear just wasn't on securely enough, new pump had gear oriented the same way.

Green locktite and let it sit 24 hours after cranking it on and it was fine. Had to purge the air from the lines again and it's back to running from a bucket.

Fuel sender is too rusty, seems to be drawing air back there, so I'll either build a draw straw type deal or sump the tank.

Need to bleed the brakes, bleed the clutch, build power steering lines, figure out a belt, and find a driveshaft from a regular cab 4x4 and I should be able to drive it, crudely.

I did find a driveshaft in the junkyard, but they bent the hell out of it when they picked it up with the forks.