Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,188 Posts
Great progress! Being able to drive it and work on it I’d a great feeling. Always gets me excited to work on it again. Having a cnc plasma table is sweet! I use the heck out of mine

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Great progress! Being able to drive it and work on it I’d a great feeling. Always gets me excited to work on it again. Having a cnc plasma table is sweet! I use the heck out of mine
That's good to hear lol, I'm worried I might not take to it or find it useful.

I did use this to accidentally pull a tree limb down today, since we're getting ready to build a pole barn.

Plant Tire Vehicle Wheel Tree

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,188 Posts
Do you have any CAD experience? Fusion 360 is free for makers. Lots of great youtube videos on how to use it.
If you have any questions let me know. I use Sheetcam to create the Gcode then use Mach3 to control the CNC.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Do you have any CAD experience? Fusion 360 is free for makers. Lots of great youtube videos on how to use it.
If you have any questions let me know. I use Sheetcam to create the Gcode then use Mach3 to control the CNC.
I do have CAD experience, so that's a leg up for me I hope. I will for sure reach out if I get lost, which seems likely lol

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Haven't posted an update in awhile.

Really isn't one, it runs fine, drives fine, have a lot of little things I'd like to do still, but it mostly just sits outside.

I'd like to adjust the wastegate, I don't see as much boost as I should, I'd like to pull the dash and build a sheetmetal one for it, finish the grille swap, add sliders, get a winch... Just details really, the"build" is kinda done.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Why aren't you driving it? Seems the last dumping of snow might have been a good time to go out and play....haha
I drive it around a bit, I think I've put 300 miles on it this winter.

I need to reroute the exhaust to get the front driveshaft in is probably the biggest thing.

While it's cold outside though, I just don't care lol. It'll be ready to go camping this summer.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Forgot to update, nicer weather has me really busy on actual business lately.

Did a first cut on the dash, speaker holes won't work, glove box and radio may interfere with dash bar, I'll have to ponder how I want to deal with that in the next iteration.

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Gas Engineering

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

Also started on interior panels as well.

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Wheel Car

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
My air compressor took a poop, and I took a trip to Oklahoma, so this was on pause for a bit.

Got the compressor fixed, got back from Oklahoma, back on track to do some exploring this summer :)

Last night I made templates to transfer to CAD for side panels, to match the rear panel.

Also, on this OM617, the filter is remote, so there's oil lines running to the filter mount. Right now they're push-loc AN hose, but I don't have a great feeling about that when I'm 30 miles from a real road in the UP. I think I'll be pulling those and having hydraulic hoses made so I can rest a little easier.

I've also just ordered a Softtopper

Hood Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
The oil filter on this is remote, and I have AN lines to it I don't feel super happy and fuzzy about, also they were -10 based on recommendation from the company that made the filter adapter, and it's just too large.

So I stopped by Parker and had these -8 hoses made that should be way more durable than the AN stuff.
Textile Grey Eyewear Automotive design Bag

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
I've had the new lines on a few weeks now.

Softopper still isn't here, still isn't en route.

Valley Truck Parts seems to have lost my front driveshaft....

Thing's just aren't going awesome for the ole Yota lol.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Valley Truck found my front driveshaft, then acted like it was my fault I hadn't picked it up lol. But it's in and fits great.

This whole time I've been driving with no fluid in the steering system lol. Apparently there's an ATF shortage also, 12 bucks on ATF and some hose clamps and I was able to get the system filled and bled.

Plumbed in a MAC valve to dump vacuum to the IP so it shuts off with the key now.

Still no Softopper.

Taking it down to our place in Gun Lake this weekend to go on it's first little excursion.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Originally when I put this together, I just bought the biggest filter I could find, a giant Cummins filter.

I was never able to find a good place to mount it, so it was just hanging way down off the frame, a solid 6-7 inches below the frame.

Obviously that's not going to work offroad, so I ordered up the shortest filter I could find, a AC Delco PF66. Works for a 3.0 Duramax, should work for my 3.0 Mercedes lol.

Threw it on, had tons of ground clearance, no more worries about knocking it off the frame... Fired it up.. No oil pressure. No oil to the top end... Killed the engine, filter full of oil... Put the oil filter back on, no oil... pulled filter, watch prodigious amounts of oil blow out of the filter thread... So pump is still pumping, my sketchy pan and sketcy pickup mods are holding.

Somehow it's not getting to the top end, but is at least getting to the filter housing.

So I ran out of the amount of time that I was willing to spend getting covered in dirt and oil yesterday and just went home and ate tacos.

141 - 160 of 163 Posts