Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I wish, but sadly, it's not to be.

Most likely, I screwed something up when I modified the pickup.

Passages are all clear, even put a scope down the pump feed from where it comes out the block to the filter. Fluid easily passes in either direction as well.

Overfilled it by 3 quarts, so the level was over the entire oil pump, back filled it from the pump feed out, no joy. Not moving a drop of oil.

I can easily take the rear half off in chassis, and I did that, three times... Seems to be moving fine, nothing there obstructing it, seems fine.

But, the pump is either not pumping, or has a leak, or the bypass is immediately, fully opening.

I can't do anything else with it in the chassis, so I'll pull it tomorrow and stick it back on the stand and figure it out.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
So, what I've learned is, the pump easily, readily, quickly pumps fluid when the shaft is spun, no priming, no scuba gear needed.

Looking at the input shaft on the oil pump, you'd think a drive pin or something goes there.

However, looking at the sprocket, there's no place for a pin to nest within it.

So... I think the intent of that split, is to allow the bolt to force it open and lock the sprocket on the taper.

I believe I have the wrong bolt, and the chain was spinning, and the sprocket was spinning, but just sitting on the shaft spinning.

I'll know more when the new pump arrives Thursday.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
I guess I forgot to update again, seems the gear just wasn't on securely enough, new pump had gear oriented the same way.

Green locktite and let it sit 24 hours after cranking it on and it was fine. Had to purge the air from the lines again and it's back to running from a bucket.

Fuel sender is too rusty, seems to be drawing air back there, so I'll either build a draw straw type deal or sump the tank.

Need to bleed the brakes, bleed the clutch, build power steering lines, figure out a belt, and find a driveshaft from a regular cab 4x4 and I should be able to drive it, crudely.

I did find a driveshaft in the junkyard, but they bent the hell out of it when they picked it up with the forks.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I will look tonight but I think I have a set of shafts I can donate to the cause. They are a set of stock shafts, nothing special but they will get you moving.

RBB

I appreciate that! But my transfer case and whole drive train is moved 6" rearward, my driveshafts will have to be built.

I just dropped the flanges off at DNR Driveline today, should have them in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
More or less done.

Wired so the key starts the glow plugs and fires it.

Serpentine is all figured out, uses a Ram 1500 Hemi belt, easy to find.

Have to finish up wiring so it's nice, wire in a vacuum pump so I have power brakes and it dies with the key, and figure out radiator hoses, I've ordered a bunch of elbows and stuff, I'll probably go to the junkyard this weekend and see what i can see there also.

I kind of effed up the sending unit, so I put a draw straw and baffle for the pickup. Ordered a fitting from a company called Glacier Diesel, they sat on my order for a week, I sent two emails, they didn't answer, I called, they said they forgot to call me, couldn't get the fitting... So I ordered it from Summit.

Hopefully, I can drive this weekend.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
I can honestly say, I've not done much but chip away at details, tidying up wiring, getting gauges installed, getting it unpacked of all the crap I stashed in it during the build.

Since it runs and drives now, and summer is over, I've started actually submitting my resume to interesting sounding positions, so some of my free time is going to be getting sucked up by interviews and calls here shortly.

I've also purchased a CNC Plasma table and rented some shop space, so 4runner stuff might slow a bit now.

Building Hall Flooring Interior design Floor

I did get quick release pins in the door, IMO, not all they're cracked up to be, a bit of a pain really lol, but whatever, I'll probably make some tube doors next year and just leave it all summer.

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle

The earlier grille doesn't really fit, the earlier headlight bezels definitely don't fit... Gotta figure that out.

Also the front end splayed out when I hacked the core support out, so I'll have to pull it back in and weld a brace in so the doors open cleanly and the hood doesn't have a 1" gap.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Not much to report, I've put about 268 miles on it, average 27 mpg.

Don't drive it as much as I'd like because I'm missing 2 power steering fittings that have been backordered since July... The downside to having a serpentine setup I guess.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts