Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
101 - 120 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
How much wiring in this vintage of diesel?
Just the starter, it's all mechanical. Well, and alternator. Not much.

In related news, my trips to the junkyard paid off, I spotted a first gen Cummins grille, unbroken. Paid 25 dollars, listed it for 350, sold it in 8 hours...

So that will pay for my turbo upgrade lol.

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
That hurt my brain for a second there. I was trying to figure out what you were building and how you were going to get the grill to fit in that hole. Then I read it.
Agree with grey, on your investment. Better that cryptocurrency.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
WOW! That's a hell of a return on investment.... :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, I leave "money" in the junkyard pretty frequently really, idk why I'd pass this up though, it was already pulled and everything lol.

That hurt my brain for a second there. I was trying to figure out what you were building and how you were going to get the grill to fit in that hole. Then I read it.
Agree with grey, on your investment. Better that cryptocurrency.
Used that to finance my fancy turbo upgrade and intercooler lol.

So yeah, why isn't it running already? :D
No fuel system or oil system yet. Mostly waiting on the bracket that locates the fuel filter head so I can continue making lines, been waiting two weeks, don't expect to see it this week either... But it's a niche market, and this is a dude in a pole barn in Nebraska, not Amazon, so I can't complain much yet.

Also, the starter had the threads stripped, I just put two helicoils in it yesterday, we'll see how it fits when it stops raining to see if I can use it as is or if I get another.

I'd like to at least crank it this week before I haul it back up to storage.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,018 Posts
love to see you using the welding trick to pull sleeves. Works great on bearing races as well.

This will be a fun rig once done. You are of course going with a hood stack....with a flapper...rite? lol.

·
Gustafson
10,177 Posts
love to see you using the welding trick to pull sleeves. Works great on bearing races as well.

This will be a fun rig once done. You are of course going with a hood stack....with a flapper...rite? lol.
:ROFLMAO: That's hilarious

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I would totally run a hood exit if my wife wasn't such a weenie.

Today at US Auto in Sterling Heights I found this gem plucked and waiting, so I asked at the desk, they didn't know who's it was, so I bought it as a core lol.

Just for more Toyota funds
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Mode of transport Naval architecture Asphalt

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
^^^ What is it? PM me a price. I am jealous that you get to go to cool yards. I never seem to make it...
As far as I could detective out, it's an 01 5.3 from a Yukon. It has return style rails, a DBW throttlebody, flex injectors, which narrows it down to 2000-2002, then there was one Yukon that fit that description sitting out in the yard missing the engine. Once I have a chance to unload it and get a reasonable assessment of it, I'll shoot you a PM. I'll probably throw some injectors on it, a PCM, and fire it on a stand for YouTube footage before I sincerely try to sell it.

In 4runner news, the lack of bracket to hold my accessories, which includes the fuel filter, is holding up progress at the moment. I need to make soft lines, but they're actually not super soft and kind of brittle, so it would really be best to have everything firmly mounted.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
I've been neglectful of the forums again...

Got really busy at work, then I quit, do now I have lots of free time :D So much more progress now.

It cranks now, struggling a bit with priming, but made lots of smoke today!

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
What happened at work? Tired of Chrysler? :ROFLMAO:
Kind of got tired of the rat race...

Really questioned why I spend so much time going to work and what my goals are. I think I'd like to pursue a different path.

In other news, after days of fighting priming and finding out I had messed the timing up, because if you don't account for the chain tensioner, it yanks the cam 10 degrees once it has oil pressure... Fun.

So, I present, a bad picture of my butt, and a running diesel 4runner!

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
I wish lol, next is a long list of things, starting with, why is there no oil up top?

Most are pretty straightforward, now that I know it runs.
How is the pump for oil pressure and or oil journals plugged?

Back in the day I used to tear down engines for a buddy at his shop and put them in the hot tank. After they were finished I'd rinse them off and he would tell me to be sure to clean out the oil journals and sure enough most of them had thick gunk in them which required me to ream them out really good.
I actually enjoyed tearing down engines and heads and putting them back together. Got tired of black grease from my elbows to the tips of my fingers all the time. He had a flow bench for the heads which I really liked playing with that.

Hope it's an easy fix for ya.

101 - 120 of 146 Posts