Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Damn, I've been negligent again, have an almost finished longblock other than timing components, which are ridiculously expensive BTW.

Also picked up a 7.5mm Dieselmeken pump used, should be good for roughly 200 crank hp and maybe 275 ft/lbs, ridiculously hard to find dyno results on these engines stock or otherwise. Stock they seem to put out about 80 rwhp.

·
Gustafson
9,833 Posts
Wow! you really have gotten a lot done!

200hp and 275ft/lbs of torque will really make that 4 runner come alive!

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,586 Posts
Looking good. Any thoughts on what this will do for fuel economy once completed? I sometimes regret getting rid of my tdi powered grand cherokee project last year....

·
Gustafson
9,833 Posts
Looking good. Any thoughts on what this will do for fuel economy once completed? I sometimes regret getting rid of my tdi powered grand cherokee project last year....
Awww, I didn't realize you got rid of that. I remember that project, thought it was a pretty cool build.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
It's kind of all over the place again, I talk to people, they always seem to leave out some key piece of info. I'm hoping for mid 20's though.

4runner has 4.30's now, will be on 255/75r17's, so a 32" tire, and backed by an R150F, so it should cruise at 75 around 2600 rpm, just past the torque peak.

I would have done a TDI, I was searching for either, this one appeared first. TDI's are smaller and have more low hanging fruit in the power department, with this thing you upgrade the pump for 1400 bucks or drive around with 80rwhp lol. Getting the pump for 900 bucks was a nice score for me.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I've been super negligent again lol,

When it was super cold out, I really didn't make much progress. I was really avoiding running the timing chain through, there's no timing cover, and there's a bunch of guides, gears, and misc BS. Took my wife to help me while I pulled it through.

For no particular reason other than I had the liner, and I think it's funny, I Raptor lined some 2016 4runner wheels I paid 75 bucks for,

I mounted up the old 255/75r17 KM2's from my wifes Grand Cherokee, I don't really care for the tires, but they suit the 4runner well.

The big project over the weekend was modifying the oil pan, it's a front sump, the rear half interfere's with the IFS crossmember and steering linkage. Doomsday Diesel sells a pan, but to save 600 bucks, I'll deal with ugly welds.

Everything to the left has to move,

This pic got me banned from a Mercedes FB group lmao,

Laid out the pieces I needed to cut out,

It's amazing how many oil pan experts you can find on FB if you start building one lol.

I filled it with water, turned the welder up to kill, and welded it everywhere it leaked.

Still have to cut the pickup, rotate it 180, and extend it to the bottom of the new sump, and tap the pan for the turbo drain, the stock one is a complicated mess, I'll just run a 1" NPT tap through the hole and use an AN hose like normal.

The main hangup at this point is the flywheel, I really want a heavy one, the LCE 38lb one is pretty expensive, so I've been putting off buying it for awhile.

·
Gustafson
9,833 Posts
Nice work so far!

Unless I missed something, I don't see why that pic would get you banned.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Nice work so far!

Unless I missed something, I don't see why that pic would get you banned.
I already had him riled up over my disbelief that these engines are precision balanced at the factory rather than mass produced.

An ugly cut, (that clearly was not the final cut), was the straw that broke the camels back along with the ugly welds lol.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Agreed.

I have the pickup cut for the rotating and extension, have to call in favors to get that done, I don't have the ability to weld alluminum or the desire to buy it lol.

Also I bought a LCE heavy flywheel for a 3.4 V6 with Uncle Joe's inflation bucks, 422 bucks seems excessive, but they have the only one I've found.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
So, while the pickup is in purgatory, I decided to do this,

It's sitting on a crossmember I really halfassed, just to see where everything sits and how it clears, just loosely on the oil pan, there is 1" clearance from the crossmember to the front diff.

Wasn't necessary, and was kind of a waste of time, but it was fun.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Indeed, it was a beautiful weekend, and got me closer.

The kind of bummer is that I have to tote this thing back and forth between my driveway and the lot where it lives when I'm not working on it, but C'est la vie.

I do have a more firm plan on how to mount the engine now, I'm waiting on my heavy flywheel from LCE, then all I need is a clutch and a starter and I can marry the whole thing together.

Of course I only have like 100 bucks a week I spend on this, so that'll probably take until May/June.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
So, I spent some time this weekend removing things that were not a diesel 4runner from my 4runner, and verifying that I still had power into the cab as I went lol.

The wiring on Toyota's from this era is a bit silly, and overly complex IMO.

I also have the pickup welded, and I took my new flywheel to Swanson Engineering in Grant to have it machined to the correct bolt pattern. I don't mind experimenting on 40 dollar flywheels, but 400 dollar ones, I'd rather someone throw on their CNC.

Weirdly, a bunch of people who aren't machinists had some pretty wild opinions about what I'd consider a pretty ordinary repair, but, it's being taken care of.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
what's the honeycomb looking section on the lower left of the pic? is it some sort of cooler? Seems complex.

Of the engine on the stand? It's just how the upper part of the pan is cast.

The upper oil pan is cast aluminum, lower is stamped steel.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Installed the Doomsday adapter yesterday, input bearing adapter was the wrong size, fixed that today. My crank measures at 1.356~ Doomsday pilot adapter was at like 1.372.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts