Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
181 - 200 of 207 Posts

·
Gustafson
10,625 Posts
I have a centrifuge now, so I run it through that first.

But you can, and I have, just let it sit for 2 weeks or so then siphon off the top.
Do you have to mix it with diesel fuel, or will a vehicle run on just straight oil?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Do you have to mix it with diesel fuel, or will a vehicle run on just straight oil?
Depends on the vehicle. B100 and Veg oil are not the same thing.

B100 is processed to make the glycerin drop out. I run B100 in normal, common rail, modern diesels every day.

Veg oil is way thicker, it would kill a common rail set up. But I run it in this old Mercedes engine straight without a problem, it just has to be heated when it's cold out. I don't bother heating it, I just mix it with diesel or gas to thin it.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Got a brandy new alternator at the junkyard today for 27 bucks, always a bummer to see something someone loved wrecked, but I'll still take advantage when I can lol.

Tonight I'll be fixing some sketchy wiring and adding a new, switched fuse block to the interior for future things.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Gas Rim

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
We drove this down to Gun Lake Sunday, did beautifully, averaged 26 mpg.

Took it down a little power line trail, no problem other than having no fans to bring temps down and I have one hub that won't lock, so I'll be rebuilding those.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
I got this GPS Speedo on Ebay for like 45 bucks, it's a bit slow to start, but accurate and is quick to respond. The odometer has a memory and seems to stay on, trip meter resets every key off cycle.

The fuel gauge is for a boat, I have a small converter to change the Toyota resistance to match the gauge resistance, pretty neat for things other than the standard GM type 0-90 ohms.

I'll have to recut this dash panel, there's a lot of changes I'd like to make based on actually having it in the truck.

I also got these cool barrel filters for my veg oil, now I can filter 25 gallons in just a few minutes to 100 microns.

Steering part Motor vehicle Gauge Steering wheel Hood

Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Road surface

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Spent most of my weekend on wiring and fixing up the dash some.

Figured out how to get myself an auxiliary switched 12v panel and laid out the dash.

I don't really like the panel and I'll change it later, but it gives me something to work with and decide about now.

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Vehicle

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Thing died on me at the gas station Saturday. Spent most of that day getting my lot graded, and part of Sunday also.

Bled injectors, changed the filter, it fired up on the trailer, pulled it off the trailer and it fucking died before I made it around the block this morning.

Gonna have to dig into that, just put the plate on it Friday so I could drive it lol.
Wheel Tire Car Sky Plant

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Seems to be drawing air somewhere, it'll start and idle all day, won't flow enough fuel to drive though, tons of air bubbles in the clear pre-filter.

Will have to check my clamps and lines.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
6,254 Posts
I miss being able to run old waste engine oil, trans fluid, power steering fluid in my 97 f350 7.3 truck. I'd run up to 70% of waste oil without any issues.

Nice you found the issue! I always wondered about those GPS speedo gauges..... I was going to buy one years ago but didn't think it would work.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
I miss being able to run old waste engine oil, trans fluid, power steering fluid in my 97 f350 7.3 truck. I'd run up to 70% of waste oil without any issues.

Nice you found the issue! I always wondered about those GPS speedo gauges..... I was going to buy one years ago but didn't think it would work.
The GPS speedo is ok.. It resets the trip odo with every key cycle,I also think it sets the ODO back to a whole number every key cycle. It doesn't count like 5.1, 5.2, 5.3... It's just 5 until it's 6... And mine has been on 5 for like 4 1/2 mile trips to my house and back now lol.

For a weekend trail rig, summer time driver, it's fine though, boots right up.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Pulled the sending unit, checked everything back there, jammed my hand in the tank a thousand times until it was raw, put it all back together and it seems to run fine.

Drove it to work again today, throttle linkage fell off on M6, no idea where the E Clip went that holds it on, stuck it back together and continued on with my drive.

As long as you're not trying to go 85 with bluetooth satellite butt warmers, it does fine, pick a semi and follow it lol.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Light Sky

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
On the way back home Monday, I had really really low boost.

I was worried I'd smoked the turbo, but it had no play. I only have one coupler, it was tight and in good shape.

Got home and tore the manifold off Tuesday to see if the wastegate was messed up somehow, on the truck it's jammed up underneath where I can't see it, and found this lol. Locktited it and put it back together, hopefully it stays now.

Wood Gas Trigger Auto part Hardwood

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
I bought an oil drain fitting for the turbo from Benzforce, that doesn't work...

It's an extended an12 fitting and it has to do a little jag over to drain in the oil pan. The an lines just never worked, they crash, they hit everything, the line kinks... I tried 90's, I tried 45's, straights, combinations... Nothing worked so I finally just stuck a silicone hose over the fittings and hose clamped it lol.

But, I'll throw a little more money at it, and try this push lock line, because that hose clamp shit is barely hanging on, and I'd hate to dump all my oil out.
Product Azure Tie Material property Office supplies

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Took it on vacation, did well cruising around and being a cheap little run about for us.

Wheel Water Tire Car Sky

The internet claims 200hp/300 ft/lbs built as mine is.

I drive mine and know thats utter bullshit, so I dyno'd it since no one else ever has for some reason. 110/210 lol.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
This thing really doesn't have great off idle response.

The low end torque everyone expects of a diesel just isn't there, I had to drive down a trail in Yankee Springs I've literally driven a minivan down in low range to have the torque needed to go slow. Seems ridiculous to me.

Mercedes diesels have a device referred to as an ALDA, which is Automatische LadeDruck Anreicherung... It's basically a fuel limiter, it will not fuel the engine without boost being present. Guy's with stock motors take them off altogether, Ihave a hot rod pump, but I'm thinking I may do the same, I have an EGT gauge and a brain, so idk... The guy I bought my pump from, took it off because he also didn't like the trail response, it felt better to him with a stock pump and mild turbo upgrade.

I also threw out a 100 dollar bid on a variable turbo and won, so maybe boost at 1200 rpm will help lol.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
is there a way to fake the boost to trick the ALDA when you'd want to? or would you always want to...

watched the first half of the video, will be interesting if a smaller turbo cleans up some turbo lag.
It's adjustable, I thought of cranking on mine a bit, but seems easier to just take it off and see if I'm happy. If the EGT's are too high trail cruising, I can always put it back on and adjust it.

181 - 200 of 207 Posts