Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
BFT!
11,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought THIS

The reviews are 4.2 out of 5 stars, this made me think it was good.

This was NOT the case, after reading the 1 star reviews the plastic trigger is not strong enough to discharge the plunger. I had a fire in my buggy this weekend after a roll over, trans fluid hit the exhaust and caught fire. Made for a very shitty situation.

So this got me thinking, is there any way to actually KNOW that your extinguisher is going to work?

I'm very happy I had a second one on the outside of my truck only a couple wires were burned as a result.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,486 Posts
Look at the setup @1TFROT has. @kb8ymf was showing me his last week and they are the cat's ass too. Problem is my brain is fuddled right now and I can't remember what they were.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
dum dum, those are!! :finger:

the 2 liter is between the seats. the 1 liter is mounted on the B pillar so anyone outside can grab it.

the supression system is mounted under the dash and has 2 nozzles pointed at the headers

so I have 3 total. 2 of which are completely portable

·
Direct Drive FTW
2,461 Posts
"Old trusty" in my shed is pushing 15 years old. Best way to know if it works is use it. I would not trust anything plastic in an emergency.

Refill every 6
Rebuild every 12

Do fire houses have any type of recharging event once a year kind of deal?
I know most do pancakes and donations annually. But, I have not really looked into it much in the last few years.
Otherwise FirePro's is the closest place I know of off the top of my head for service.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
you guys need to start things on fire more often. I don't think I have any that are more than a couple years old. And even the cheap plastic ones have all worked when needed.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
From what I've found not cheap

LINK
This is what I run, plus a cheap abc on hand.

I have never used one for mine own rig knock on wood but, I think this is the first year I haven't used a ABC to put somebody else rig out. I've seen a few Trans fires and fuel fires. They work good unless it's a battery short inside.

·
BFT!
11,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you guys need to start things on fire more often. I don't think I have any that are more than a couple years old. And even the cheap plastic ones have all worked when needed.
The extinguisher I tried to use was less than a month old.

·
Not as old as Whiterhino
1,160 Posts
Look at the setup @1TFROT has. @kb8ymf was showing me his last week and they are the cat's ass too. Problem is my brain is fuddled right now and I can't remember what they were.
coldfire

military version so it's cold weather rated

/thread
Yep, that's it. Cold Fire. I can't remember the exact site I purchased them from online but there are two different versions of it. One is 'normal' temperature and the other all black can is listed as a Tactical version which is ALL-WEATHER. so it won't freeze so I leave them in the truck all the time.
Have I used it yet, in a word NO. However I have also purchased the refillable cans and I have the Military/Law Enforcement 5 gallon concentrate. I fill my own units and pressurize with nitrogen that I use for my shocks.
I HAVE used the cold fire chemical to extinguish one of my 'legendary' campfires in my backyard. I can attest that it works flawlessly and put my raging fire out in a matter of a less than 30 seconds.

P.S.............EVERY Fire Extinguisher has a shelf life. They are usually tested every year. I know my cans are 3 years and are dated. They're up for replacement next year.
jim-kb8ymf

Attachments

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Yep, that's it. Cold Fire. I can't remember the exact site I purchased them from online but there are two different versions of it. One is 'normal' temperature and the other all black can is listed as a Tactical version which is ALL-WEATHER. so it won't freeze so I leave them in the truck all the time.
Have I used it yet, in a word NO. However I have also purchased the refillable cans and I have the Military/Law Enforcement 5 gallon concentrate. I fill my own units and pressurize with nitrogen that I use for my shocks.
I HAVE used the cold fire chemical to extinguish one of my 'legendary' campfires in my backyard. I can attest that it works flawlessly and put my raging fire out in a matter of a less than 30 seconds.

P.S.............EVERY Fire Extinguisher has a shelf life. They are usually tested every year. I know my cans are 3 years and are dated. They're up for replacement next year.
jim-kb8ymf

Jim, fyi, the cans I posted are suppose to be the mil spec as well. I was very specific when I ordered them and he promised they were rated for cold weather. the label on the bigger one has 2 markings..... all seasons formula and reg blend formula. mine shouldbe marked for all seasons

1 - 20 of 27 Posts