Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing a lot of articles about people that don't gut their animal kills when hunting. Which just astounds me. I had no idea that wasn't a regular thing with a lot of people; thought I admit it could just be articles and not necessarily what people don't do.

It does bring up some interesting questions though. I gut my deer, and let it hang at camp for a good week or two depending on the temperature. I suppose I can see the merit of not gutting, then quartering out an animal to pack it out from back in the woods. Not gutting would be a lot cleaner, and quicker to get the animal quartered.

Though what I see as the main argument as to why not to guy, is that it is less "gross". Which I agree with, gutting is rather gross, though it needs to be done IMO. I suppose the only reason not to would be if you're going to cut it up quickly, but I still feel like you're going to be loosing a lot of meat. Which to me is wasteful.

what say you?

·
Registered
118 Posts
i gut it and quarter it and pack it in freezer with in 72hrs. thats when the missing deer report comes out.

·
American
1,548 Posts
I never knew gutting it right away wasn't a thing...I know some people like to let it hang, but I never knew people delayed gutting it. I gut right away and quarter it out as soon as convenient...I finish processing it within a week of quartering, mainly because my wife doesn't like the space it takes up in the beer fridge.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I never knew gutting it right away wasn't a thing...I know some people like to let it hang, but I never knew people delayed gutting it. I gut right away and quarter it out as soon as convenient...I finish processing it within a week of quartering, mainly because my wife doesn't like the space it takes up in the beer fridge.
Maybe it is just something that a very small amount of people don't do and it's just the way social media works, showing every single one. Still thought it was interesting.

How many let it hang for over a week?

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
we drag them up to the gutting trailer, gut them and then set them in the back of a pickup to head to the garage where they hang for around a week depending on the temps and then process them

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn...now that makes me hungry just looking at the pictures lol

·
Are we there yet?
1,994 Posts
I understand the reason to quarter and pack out large game in the field (i.e. Elk, Moose, etc.) or where terrain is very difficult (Mtn, Swamp, etc). When hunting at our deer property in northern michigan, we will retrieve whole in the field and then gut back at camp, as we can easily get access to a vehicle to carry out... and with the number of coyotes we prefer to not have gut piles near our hunting spots.

I've taken deer on state managed lands where I had to drag it out close to 1 mile. Since the terrain isn't too bad, a field dress, and then drag worked fine, and using the HSS harness with drag made it much easier.

I've not ran into a scenario where I would rather quarter then field dress and remove whole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts