Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fiat and Chrysler said Tuesday they have agreed to form a strategic alliance that would give the Italian auto empire a 35-percent stake in the troubled U.S. carmaker and could eventually bring it full control.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
now we'll be able to get an alfa romeo again :woot:

·
Low Range Drifter
8,512 Posts
This should be interesting. One thing I read this morning is if they will still be elgible for the govt funding? Daimler has a 19% stake and Fiat now has a 35% stake, it's over half owned by foreign entities.

Hopefully this will all work out for the Chrysler folks.

·
Get Up and Go
2,575 Posts
This should be interesting. One thing I read this morning is if they will still be elgible for the govt funding? Daimler has a 19% stake and Fiat now has a 35% stake, it's over half owned by foreign entities.

Hopefully this will all work out for the Chrysler folks.

X Infinity

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
Scottie just made a mess in his pants...

Not Yet.

But i really hope this works out for chrysler, and i hope fiat gets their hands into Jeeps, maybe they can start making real jeeps again.

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
the rumors I am hearing are that we will have plants here building them. secondly if we have to build them we have to test them :)
I also wonder in the time frames of things? How fast do you think it could happen so as we have product to sell? I see 24-36 months at least. my biggest concerns are for crash testing. if they suck at it will it even be worth it?

·
14,442 Posts
heres an old artical from last summer

http://www.autoobserver.com/2008/07/chrysler-talks-partnerships-with-fiat-and-tata-reports-say.html

Chrysler Talks Partnerships With Fiat and Tata, Reports Say
July 31, 2008
Chrysler is discussing possible alliances with foreign automakers including India's Tata
Motors and Italy's Fiat, according to media reports.

In recent weeks, Chrysler reportedly has discussed with Tata the possibility of selling and even assembling Jeeps in India, according to sources quoted by Reuters and the Wall Street Journal.
Chrysler also reportedly is talking with Fiat to lease factory space for car production and possibly share distribution with the Italian automaker, looking to return to the U.S. with its Alfa Romeo brand next year. Fiat also is considering selling its popular 500 small car here.
Worsening Chrysler Financials
The Wall Street Journal reports that sources say the preciptious downturn in the U.S. car market of late has caused Chrysler's owner, Cerberus Capital Management, to become more concerned about Chrysler's ability to turn around on its own and has stepped up efforts to reach out to foreign car companies.
Chrysler lost $1.6 billion in 2007, and the holding company that includes both the automaker and its financing unit, Chrysler Financial, lost $509 million in the first quarter. Fitch Ratings downgraded Chrysler this week saying the automaker could run out of cash by mid next year.
Of course, the privately held, tight-lipped Chrysler and Cerberus are confirming nothing of these reports.
Chrysler-Fiat-Tata AffiliationsAlready, Chrysler has a deal with Nissan to provide Nissan with a version of its upcoming Dodge Ram to replace the Nissan Titan pickup truck. In turn, Nissan will provide Chrysler with a version of the Nissan Versa to fill the small car void in the Detroit automaker's line.
AutoObserver reported last week that Fiat was among the foreign automakers looking at Chrysler's new Dundee, Mich., plant for the production of four-cylinder engines.After a 25-year hiatus, the now-thriving Fiat is looking to return to the U.S. market. It plans to sell Alfa Romeo models in the U.S. beginning next year and has mentioned the possibility of selling Fiat's wildly popularCinquencento (500) small car in the States.
It has given few details of its plan. However, Fiat Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne, credited with Fiat's turnaround, has said Fiat would like a partner for its North American return.
Chrysler's discussions with Tata, which recently completed the $2.3-billion purchase of Jaguar and Land Rover from Ford, reportedly center around selling the Jeep Wrangler in India and possibly other Asian markets.
A Chrysler tie-up with Tata could potentially open new markets for the Wrangler, including with India's military. Chrysler already assembles an armored version of the Wrangler in Egypt.
The iconic Jeep brand is seen as Chrysler's crown jewel and is often mentioned as a possibility to be spun off as it would generate more cash than any of Chrysler's other assets. An investment banker, who declined to be identified, told Reuters it was likely that a product-centered tie-up between Tata and Chrysler could lead to a larger deal over time.
Tata and Chrysler are already cooperating on developing an electric vehicle, a battery-powered version of Tata's Ace mini-truck.
Meantime, Fiat and Tata already have a partnership. This week Fiat took over handle the financing in Europe for Tata's Jaguar and Land Rover brands. Meantime, Tata has said it was open to Fiat selling its $2,500 Nano, billed as the world's cheapest car when it goes on sale late this year.

·
14,442 Posts
and just so you know Tata is already in bed with Fiat, they have production agreements with them in a couple of countries.

·
insanus incognitus
101 Posts
i cant believe no one has said this yet ::sonicjay:

F ix
I t
A gain
T ony

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
All I hear is the sucking sound of more american dollars leaving our country. :usa:

If this succeeds it will suck fewer dollars then if it didn't happen.

Its either this, which has a better chance of working or else its, Nash, willys, AMC, Kaiser, Studebaker, Hudson, auburn, chrysler, etc.

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
If this succeeds it will suck fewer dollars then if it didn't happen.

Its either this, which has a better chance of working or else its, Nash, willys, AMC, Kaiser, Studebaker, Hudson, auburn, chrysler, etc.
Yeah, it could/would have been Tata-Chrysler or the likes. A situation like that would have been way bad in terms of jobs here.

·
Pew pew!
18,204 Posts
I guess it's happening.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2009/01/confirmed-fiat-to-get-35-pct-stake-in-chrysler/

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/category/fiat/

Fiat SpA, Chrysler LLC and Cerberus Capital Management have confirmed the Italian automaker will take a 35 percent share of Chrysler. There will be no cash involved in the deal.

The agreement will still need to be approved by the Treasury under the terms of the $4 billion loan extended to Chrysler which gives the U.S. government approval of all transactions valued at more than $100 million.

According to the agreement, Chrysler will get access to Fiat’s platforms, powertrains and components that would be produced at a Chrysler facility in the U.S. Fiat would also provide distribution support in key foreign growth markets. Fiat will provide assistance to Chrysler in its preparation of a viability plan to the U.S. federal government.

The new alliance does not commit Fiat to make any cash investment in Chrysler, now or in the future.

The agreement already has the support of the United Auto Workers. In the press release announcing the deal, UAW President Ron Gettellfinger said, “This is great news for the UAW Chrysler team and we look forward to supporting and working with them to ensure Chrysler’s long term viability.”

1 - 20 of 44 Posts