Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have TRXUS 34/12.5/15 will best top HIGH ROCK 6 inch Flares keep the salt and mud off my soft top or will I have to go with 7 inch I like the 6 inch looks and the price is right but I really want to protect my jeep in the winter. Any body have any experience with this set up.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
it would be much easier to just take the softop off and put it in your basement. then it won't get dirty at all. problem solved.

or get a set of winter tires or wheels to pull them in if you are really that worried about it. personally i think that's funny. it's a jeep, a little dirt won't hurt it. sorry.

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
34/12.5/15 Trxus

I don't have a basement I have a crawl space. I'm not so worried about the dirt in the summer as much as the road salt in the winter!when I will have to have the top on, and frozen ice I ll have to scrape off my nice soft top windows after hitting the freeway , and the nice scratches it will make in them. I could buy new tires and have them mounted and balanced for about 400 +++dollars . Or just get one set of flares that fit the tire size I run for about 350 delivered and use the awesome tires I have now.
Save money.. Save time... Save my soft top.... sounds intelligent to me.
:chiefwoohaw: If I want to get dirty I can just get out in the middle of a mud hole and walk around. My truck is a Daily Driver I wish it was just a toy but I have to have it be functional for daily life as well as wheeling. That means that if I hit wet pot hole on the way to the stake house, I can get out with out a big mud spot on my face and shirt. I'm Just wondering what size to get I hope someone else has the same type of set up who could tell me if the best top HIGH ROCK 4X4 6 inch Flares will stop this with this tire size or if I will need 7 inch . I'm told the best top flares are wider at the bottom than 6 inches. the only way to know is buy and try ... or talk to someone else that has already tried it. I sold the 17 inch tires and wheels I had posted for 350 dollars.So I wanted to ask BEFORE I got started spending money and tearing things apart ...That is the good advice someone {scorpio_vette thank you} gave me when I needed help doing a pinion seal.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
oh just for what it's worth. make sure you check your local laws if applicable. i know here in wisconsin, the flares CAN NOT be more than 4" over stock. don't know if in other states it may be more or less.

and i was just giving you a little crap. my jeep is a daily driver, but it looks more like my daily driver broke down and i had to take my trail rig to work. LOL

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I know you were I was giving it back Vette lol. And Sorry I don't have the back spacing Cooter I m sure I could find out for you if it would help you with your calculations P.S do you know Wayne AKA Mouse? I believe I heard that Michigan is 6 inches Where do you look for that? DOT I guess? That is another reason I want to know if those 6in Best top flares will at least keep it off the top. A standard 6 inch flare will cover all but about a inch of tire when there running strait down the road if I turn they will go under the flare pretty fast so I'm hoping that will work, but what I want to find out, is if the flare I want to get, the Best top HIGH ROCK 4X4 flares with there wider lower end will do the job? If I'm going to spend the money and they don't work it is a wast. I might as well just get the 7 inch that cost more and I don't want cause they might be illegal anyway.:chiefwoohaw: And Gunsworth if you go cheap you get what you pay for retail! And you pay for what you get! Sometimes more than once. I really love my Jeep, and I think it looks great, I get complements on it all the time. I want a set of flares that are not only functional and look good. but like everything I put on ,I want it to be there when I need it.I could be wrong maybe there excellent flares and I'm a idiot. but I bet there is a reason those flares your looking at are 200 dollars cheaper than others, and I think you will find out why the first time you throw a big rock with your tires or brush up against something . Also there is a problem with a fender that size SAGGING and that looks like crap and could cause you tires to hit it . And Best Top is MADE IN AMERICA BY AMERICAN'S. But I thank you for the link Gunsworth I do appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
hey just to throw this out there. why not try to get a hardtop???

my wifes jeeps is build for function. but since it's also her first vehicle, she wants it looking nice. so what we ended up with is a jeep that goes anywhere, and she still takes it to car shows. she is running 33x12.5x15 on 10" wide wheels with 4" backspacing. during the winter she runs the hardtop which is easily cleaned, and during the summer she runs a bestop safari top and tonneu cover. she was/is/was running bushwacker flares, but they cost so damn much, and now that we're on our second set, we already spend more than we could have gotten a used hardtop for.

here is a shot from beginning of the year. the tires stick out almost 2" with this setup.

same specs on the tires, but we changed the front to tube fenders. hopefully the rear will follow soon. so yeah, she does get overspray, but then again only during the summer do we have a "fabric top". during the winter we have the hard top.

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nice looking jeep what size where the pocket flairs you had on there? I love the Tube fenders how much where they? I would love a hard top. . If you know someone that has one for 400 bucks a 01 TJ please give me there contact info and I will buy it this week . I will get one in the future until then I don't see what is so wrong with fenders that cover your tires. where are the picks of renegades ride?
REALLY!!!! It would look "RETARDED" with the Best top fender flares????? come on that bad?. I guess look are more important to some than function.:chiefwoohaw: I see that a lot at the gun range. I shoot an AR- 15 I built my self for $800.00 it is simple but vary solid and I spent money where it was needed like the Shaw chrome lined barrel and chamber and A chrome bolt. Everything I have on it is for a reason the gun has stock hand guards and M3 upper, the "old fashion" 4 position stock, but I see guys with 8,000 worth of colt gun and cool looking stuff on there AR and they cant even shoot a 3 inch group at 100 yards lol..... but they do "look" cool. I can shoot better with my Iron sights:stan: , and if I need to reach out and touch someone I have a vary nicely setup Nikon scope that I can slap on in about 3 minutes. I thought that the law is on maximum fender flare size not a minimum other wise no roadsters could drive down the road. I don't know.... I'm just trying to do it the easiest cheapest Most efficient way with out having to buy cheap junk, Look retarded, or spend more than 400 dollars. Nobody has fender flares on 12.5 tires that can give me some insight as to how they work and what size they used?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Nice looking jeep what size where the pocket flairs you had on there? I love the Tube fenders and would love a hard top. If I could get one for 400 bucks I would do it right now. If you know someone please give me there contact info and I will buy it this week . I will get one in the future until then I don't see what is so wrong with fenders that cover your tires. Nobody has fender flares on 12.5 tires that can give me some insight as to how they work and what size they used?

those were the 6" bushwacker flares. not the cut out flares. just the stock replacement 6" pocket style flares.

if you spend enough time on craigslist, ebay, and as many forums as i do, you can actually find hardtops relatively cheap once in a while. $400 would be a good find. average is like $500-900.

there is nothing wrong with covering your tires. personally my wife and me like the "tires sticking out" look, but that's just us. we also like it when we're driving in the rain and you can see 4 little bitty rooster tails coming up. LOL but that's us.

anyways, those are 12.5" wide tires.

6" flares, 33x12.5x15 kumho tires, 10" wide wheels and 4" backspacing.

figure out what your backspacing is, and you'll be able to start playing with some numbers from there.

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
K I like mine sticking out too it looks tough. And yes lol it does keep other off your ass. I don't know what I'm going to do but I have 350 to 400 to spend on my truck. what is the best stuff to clean the soft top with?

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I,I want it to be there when I need it.I could be wrong maybe there excellent flares and I'm a idiot. but I bet there is a reason those flares your looking at are 200 dollars cheaper than others, and I think you will find out why the first time you throw a big rock with your tires or brush up against something . Also there is a problem with a fender that size SAGGING and that looks like crap and could cause you tires to hit it . And Best Top is MADE IN AMERICA BY AMERICAN'S. But I thank you for the link Gunsworth I do appreciate your help.
yeah they are cheaper because they dont say best top...

and if you are going with the pocket or cut-out best top flares I will laugh when they shatter on you...

Just gave you another ption, recently a few companies have popped up making cheaper extended flares, dont care enought o figure out which are american.

whatever you do stay away from the xenons, those will sag like bitch, really have no experience with the others

·
Loading please wait....
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
FYI on the top

The top is Spice color if any one is interested . the back window is blown out and there is a chip in the top The prices I got for a new back window are between 320.00 and 445.00. before tax. But I found a beige top on on Ebay for 600.00"buy it now" price. So that top is not for me at for the price. But thanks for the INFO that is why I love this site

1 - 20 of 22 Posts