Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopping the line at one assembly plant is a nightmare in itself for a supplier, but four?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070831/AUTO01/708310400/1148

Faulty part stalls four Chrysler plants

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

Chrysler LLC stopped production Thursday at four plants in Metro Detroit, Delaware and Missouri because of a faulty part provided by a supplier that is used in the 4.7-liter V-8 engine that powers Chrysler's pickups and sport utility vehicles.

The Auburn Hills automaker sent factory workers home early and stopped building Dodge Ram pickups at its Warren Truck plant in Warren and its St. Louis North factory in Fenton, Mo. Production also was stopped at Chrysler's Jefferson North plant in Detroit, where the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Commander SUVs are built, and in Newark, Del., where the Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspen SUVs are made. Chrysler's plant in Mexico, where Dodge Ram Mega Cabs are built, has not been affected.

Chrysler spokeswoman Michele Tinson declined to disclose the number of vehicles lost due to the line shutdowns or the supplier responsible for the bad part.

The problem was discovered as part of a routine quality review, she said. No vehicles have reached the market with the bad part.

The problem stems from a part made by a supplier, not a manufacturing issue at Chrysler's Mack Avenue plant Detroit, where the V-8s are built, Tinson said.

It's not clear when the problem started. Tinson said it may have first surfaced in engines built some time ago rather than in recent production runs. The automaker stopped building vehicles to make sure none arrived at dealerships with the bad part.

Production at the Mack engine complex, which produces 4.7-liter V-8 and 3.5-liter V-6 engines, was not halted. The V-8 engine line was cleared to continue making the engines Wednesday afternoon, Tinson said.

The problem affected the second shift at the Warren truck plant. Workers sent home Thursday said they were told the line also would be down next week, but Tinson could not confirm. The St. Louis North line was expected to restart for the second shift Thursday, she said.

Paul Lacy, an engine analyst with Global Insight Inc., said the defective part may have caused a chain reaction, not only on the auto production end, but also among some suppliers.

"It's absolutely the worse case scenario (for an engine plant) where something is found not to be up to spec," Lacy said. "It either failed at installation or it failed in function and it shuts the whole line down."

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Yup. Ouch.

Nice to see, at least though, the 4.7 is a competative engine again. Well, are all versions going to the 300hp/330 tq version? That'd be nice in the Jeeps.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup. Ouch.

Nice to see, at least though, the 4.7 is a competative engine again. Well, are all versions going to the 300hp/330 tq version? That'd be nice in the Jeeps.
I've already read articles that they are planning another 30% bump over those already "new" numbers soon.

·
German cars are hot
11,450 Posts
I wonder who the supplier is.. I was thinking that maybe it is the company that Mike works for but they dont give you enough information to know. Thank god Mike is starting a new non automotive job on Tuesday :woot:
I dont have to worry about this crap anymore.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
My old employer shut down plants on a regular basis by not meeting shipping requirements.....and people wonder why they went out of business :sonicjay:

·
Eye candy
10,044 Posts
maybe now chyrsler won't make more trucks than they can sell, and they don't have to have outrageously low leases to get rid of them

42,948 Posts
I DD a 400-horse 4.2 V8 and its stock. :confused:

Maybe they're going to bolt something on top of it.
thought they were 385.. There was a big problem with that on the rover boards, before they were released, they were claiming 400hp, but after emissions restraints, they were knocked down to 385.

They did that after they had a ton of pre-orders.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thought they were 385.. There was a big problem with that on the rover boards, before they were released, they were claiming 400hp, but after emissions restraints, they were knocked down to 385.

They did that after they had a ton of pre-orders.
You're thinking of the RR Sport.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts