Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 tj
i am trying to get the clutch fan off because it is locked up solid and i am going to replace it with electric
but anyways i cannot get it off it looks like someone took a air hammer to it and it will not come loose the question is if i just cut the shaft coming out of the water pump will it mess anything up
i dont see how it could but i would rather be safe than sorry

thanks

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Do you have a big spanner wrench to hold it in place while using another crescent to remove it?

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Yes, it will mess something up. You will probably have to buy a new water pump if its the shaft that actually comes out of the pump.

Do it like Lothos said, or take it to an independant shop and pay someone $5 to bust it loose for you. Then you can do the rest of the job yourself.

I would suggest not eliminating the mechanical fan, but rather replace it and add the electric one (in front of the radiator).

·
Silver_Rubicon
234 Posts
Are you turning it the right way, I think the threads are reversed? I can’t remember but I just replaced mine on my 03 Rubicon not to long ago, it was squealing really bad. it just took one quick hit on a wrench with the deadblow hammer and it loosened right up.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
That was my other thought. I think its a left handed thread. The spanner tool you can make yourself ( which i need to do anyway ).

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
Get a wrench on the nut(s) and tap the wrench with a hammer.

9 times out of 10 thats been enough to break the rust connection between the nut and the stud going into the water pump.

Also if there's a ton of gunk around that area blast it off with brake clean

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well ive tried both ways more of regular (right hand) because i looked around on the internet ads found a site with picts and all saying right hand thread
but i think ill beat on it like hell the other way

1 - 8 of 8 Posts