Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was bored today and decided to remove my rollbar padding. I unbolted everything, folded the windshield down, cleaned everything, and lubed up the windshield hinges because they felt really tight. Well when I went to fold it up again both hinges snapped off on the widshield side of the hinge. Well that sucks donkey dick is what I say. Well Ill just remove the old ones, buy some new ones, and be on my way on tueday or wednesday. Well I try to remove the bolts and the first one breaks loose and spins in place....well that sucks, so I continue and the next one does the same way....and the next one....and the next one....so of the 4 bolts i go to loosen all 4 spin in place. Now I have a few ?s. First is are the bolts just held on by little welded nuts on the backside and how can I reach them if they are? Second is should I just fold the windshield up, bolt on the rollbar and lower dash plates and just try to weld the hinge back together?

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,130 Posts
Buy new hinges.......

I'm willing to bet all of the bolts that spun were in the body side.....

The windshield side has good sized threaded metal plates in there, the body sides used nuts that were tacked to the body.

it IS possible to get a wrench on the nut to hold it, the easiest way is to remove the speaker so you have more room to work, either that or get a girl or small asian person with skinny hands/ arms to get up there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theyr sure were the ones on the body side. I was reluctant to remove the windshield ones because I didnt feel like tearing everything apart. Im probably just gonna tear the entire dash apart anyways so Ill fix the nuts then.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
The nuts are sorta glued in place under there....at least they were on mine. I was heating that area with a torch and they just fell out when I had it ripped all apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts