Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Thread killer
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad recently took his F350 in to have the brakes done, the shop told him that the rear diff cover needed to be replaced because it had rusted out... my dad is not mechanically inclined and told them to go ahead and do it.
I think it's total fucking bullshit, and they are scamming dirt bags. Before I go in there and confront them, I wanted to ask if anyone has EVER heard of this being a problem on the F350s?

Thanks for any input.

·
Thread killer
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does he launch a boat often?
No, never. Never been wheeled either. He uses it to haul their in-bed camper, and as a daily driver and that's about it.

They do live in the U.P., and the truck sees a lot of winter roads with salt on them though..

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
My 2002 F350 Stock Diff cover is pretty thin, but man, rusting out already? I don't think so. Please tell me your dad made them give him his old one, after the replacement. Alwaysask for the replaced parts when a service is done.

·
BFT!
11,172 Posts
Yea, sounds fishy to me... But they must of had some reason to replace that... I mean you can see it... If they were gonna really rip you off they would of went into the diff and said bearings were bad or geas... Seals and such... I would still wanna see that old cover...

·
Thread killer
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 2002 F350 Stock Diff cover is pretty thin, but man, rusting out already? I don't think so. Please tell me your dad made them give him his old one, after the replacement. Alwaysask for the replaced parts when a service is done.
I wish that he had asked for the old one, but no. So I have no proof that it didn't need to be replaced other than I have never heard of a diff cover "rusting out".

I pulled the diff cover on my Ford 8.8 last night and it is still in good shape...

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
what rear axle? The 10.5 has an aluminum cover I think...

·
Gotta love the BS
422 Posts
i have a 2000 and had to replace mine

·
Thread killer
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what rear axle? The 10.5 has an aluminum cover I think...
Not sure... is there a way to tell based on options? I'll ask him if he can take a look at the new one, and verify the year of the truck when I talk to him next time.

·
787 Posts
This is a problem that is more common than most people know of. I have had to replace a couple of them for rust. They don't come with good rust protection on the oem ones. Make sure his new cover is coated good with paint or spray some rust proofing on it.

·
Thread killer
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i have a 2000 and had to replace mine
This is a problem that is more common than most people know of. I have had to replace a couple of them for rust. They don't come with good rust protection on the oem ones. Make sure his new cover is coated good with paint or spray some rust proofing on it.
Thanks for the input, I guess I don't know everything afterall. lol :thumb:

·
poser wheeler
78 Posts
yep, my buddy had to replace one on his 01' last winter.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Just got back from the Badlands and found oil all over the front of my trailer. Looked under the truck (2000 F250 Superduty PS) and the diff cover is rusted out and leaking.

·
Pickup Agent
2,094 Posts
Happens all the time. I replace a dozen or so each year, for customers. Check and see how many covers your delaer has in stock. The aftermarket has most of them available, as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts