Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done everything short of replacing the whole damn motor trying to track down why it runs like shit, and nothing worked. Ive done everything I've been told to do, and no changes at all.

Fucking [/rant.]

Its gonna sit and collect bird shit until I get a 4.3l/SM465/NP205 stuffed in it.

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not entirely. I'll feel better when its out of the truck and I'm bashing it with a 10 pound sledge.

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Barely wants to idle after it idles down when warming up, misses, hesitates when I press the throttle to the point of almost stalling, runs rich. It backfires multiple times when downshifting to slow down. Gutless until about 2500 and then rips like a raped ape while spewing black smoke.

All started after I sucked water in the motor. I thought it skipped a tooth on the timing because it started running bad instantly after it happened. but I just replaced all that and nothing changed.

I've replaced the AFM, 02 sensor, checked the TPS sensor and it tested fine, went though all the vacuum lines, plugs, wires, cap, rotor... Went through all the stuff listed in the book.

·
Home Sweet Homicide
3,685 Posts
I was thinking timing chain.

Post up over at TTORA. Those guys can get cocky but some really know their stuff.

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like you hurt the motor internally bent a rod or something
Oops, thought I said that, but no, no bent rods and the compression is near spec, two are a little below but not enough to hurt it that much.

I'm not even going to bother anymore. Spent too much time and money on that turd already.

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been out playing with the timing and such today. I was planning on messing with the TPS sensor, and I just unplugged it for a second and it idled up pretty high. started messing with the timing again and for whatever reason it started running alright, still feels gutless under 3000 rpm but it didnt backfire when downshifting, its not missing nearly as much. I think I'll go out and mess with the TPS and see what I get.

·
Home Sweet Homicide
3,685 Posts
Do you have a Chilton's or Hayne's manual?

Not sure there are factory service manuals online.

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I got a Haynes.

For a little while it didnt run rich at all, but then it started blowing a slight cloud again. Still running better than it did though.

Something odd happened with my tachometer though. (Its an old Suntune Digital tach) I was cruising down the road and suddenly it flipped out, the line that goes across the scale for RPM maxed out and then it just started flashing numbers really fast. Did it until I turned it off and then it was back to normal. Never done it before.

·
HA!
142 Posts
Have you checked for a crack or small leak in the intake? I just got mine running right after fighting with everything else, found a leak in the intake manifold. Runs great now, still very underpowered under 2500rpm, but i'm still trying to get used to dealing with a 4cyl.

·
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats another thing I checked. Didnt find anything though.

I'm pretty much giving up on finding the problem. Its running half way decent right now, so I'm just gonna run it until I get my swap parts together.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts