Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Scramblin Man
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! Sorry if this is a remedial question, but I am a remedial person.

Driving to work last week, all of a sudden the desible level of the Jeep quadruples! Look under the jeep, the exhaust is resting on the skidplate, so i have a look under the hood, the front exhaust pipe has sheered free from the manifold!

So, looks like a new front exhaust pipe is in order...anyone know of a parts store that would carry that? what I have found says its for 83-86 cjs, does that make a difference? (fyi, no cat in system and the PO looks to have done some "custom" stuff like end the exhaust right behind the muffler pointing down just before the rear axle). In Michigan, no inspections, so I don't plan to put a cat on. From what I have found for this front pipe, there is some sort of small tube about a foot or so down, but the one that fell off mine had been crimped shut. Will I need to do that to the new one I buy, too?

Also, I saw no gasket between them, but should there be one? My research shows conflicting views on this.

And, while removing the 2 nuts that hold up the flange for that pipe, looks like the 2 threaded rods are very rusty and not holding the nuts too well. Can those be replaced, and if so, where do I find those parts, and how do I replace them!? Please don't say that the whole manifold needs to be replaced!

Also, as with most of my threads, pics of what you have are always welcome (I'm a visual person; remember, remedial.)

Thanks for your wisdom and guidance.
Mat

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Whaaaaaaaaat. Kewadin Michigan? HAHA
We gotcha covered on the manifold stuff mang..no problemo
Sounds like you need a hand putting a stud kit in the manifold...if you need help I'm local..
PM for details

·
Scramblin Man
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I hear you live "behind" my parents, where I grew up in Willyburg, in the sub? My parents live on old 72, just across the vallley from you!

So, those studs can be replaced?! Where do I get them, or will I have to drill them out and weld in some new ones?

I can probably get those studs to work, but the main thing is finding the front exhaust pipe locally...any ideas where to go? Thirlby's have something like that? Get the feeling Autozone, and NAPA won't be any help.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
Yeah I just bought a house there....
How do you know me? I don't think I know you???

Yeah the studs can be replaced. Gotta take the manifold off assess the situation. 9 times out of 10 they can be removed, but if they break off you have to drill and tap...

Jeep exhaust is still supported, walker makes replacement exhaust from autozone, advanced, thirlgays, bramers, or I'm pretty sure you could go mail order - JC whitney, summit, etc etc etc
So your looking at a down pipe, some pipe and adapters, band clamps, and some new hangers....can't see it costing more than $100

Might even have a downpipe on my old J10 with a 258 that might work, I don't know jeeps too well but you could always cut and weld to make it happen. Depends how cheap ya wanna be.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,098 Posts
since you didn't say what type of vehicle this is theres no way for anyone to know if an exhaust pipe for a "83-86 cjs" will work.

The small crimped shut tube may have been for a secondary air tube. With no cat theres no need for that.

I'm guessing that it should have some type of gasket but I could be wrong.

The rusted stud can be cut off, drilled out, and replaced with regular nuts and bolts. This will likely require the manifold to be removed from the vehicle.

·
Scramblin Man
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
since you didn't say what type of vehicle this is theres no way for anyone to know if an exhaust pipe for a "83-86 cjs" will work.
Sorry, 81 Scrambler, 258, T176, D300, MC2100, Aluminum valve cover, grey, 4 tires...that enough info? :sonicjay:

So, I will just crimp the little tube on the new one shut, too, right?

I stopped by thirlby's on the way last night, he said that if the 4th letter on my engine is an "M", then I will need the gasket, otherwise, not needed. Not sure what difference that makes, and the 4th letter is a "C". Guess I never figured out what these numbers are for. But, I will probably get the gasket anyways, (only a few $), it shouldn't hurt anything to have that in there, right?!

I think I can get the studs that are there to work for now, till I need to replace the manifold and/or gasket for some reason down the road...just want it back on the road till winter, then I can get into it a little deeper if needed.

Cartman, I'm surprised you haven't noticed me tailing you recently, I thought for sure when you took that turn too hard that you were trying to get away from me! :sonicjay: Actually, I just seem to remember that you mentioned that you bought a house there in a thread a while back. I don't think we have actually met, unless you are around 30 and went to ER Schools. Thanks for the offer of help, but I am trying to get this done fairly easy without alot of hacking and rigging (ditto on the thanks to pavementpounder for the offer, too, but again, trying to keep it dumbed down and semi-stock for simplicity's sake).

I think I'll call back Thirlby's and get the down tube they have ($57 in the next day, Autozone could get it for same price in 2 days, found in catalogs for $48, but then shipping and a week to wait), plus the guy seemed a little more helpful than the usual "its not in the computer, so you must not need it" responses from the Autozones of the area.

Thanks for the help kids.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
Mat,

See if the part # crosses over to an '81 J-10 with a 258. I have one that I'm getting ready to pull the motor on, and you're welcome to this pipe if it's the same style as the CJ one. Just something to keep in mind.

Craig

·
Scramblin Man
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the offer, Craig, but I ordered the pipe. I need something on this jeep that is mine, not yours!! I needed a new clamp, a new hanger, and that seal anyways, plus the guys was pretty helpful, and with any luck, I'll have "Barney" back up and running by the weekend.

BTW, when are you coming up? give me a call if you want to get together for a bite.

Thanks all for the help.

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
OK well when you get the ol' girl back up & running we need to hit some trails.
I've got a bunch of stuff to do on my rig but it should be ready early fall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts