Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a senior engineering student at KU. Right now I have a good co-op doing pretty cool stuff (Powertrain development and instrumentation). Odds are I will have an opportunity awaiting me when I graduate (hopefully :dunie: )

I'm wondering what other careers paths people have pursued inside of the Mechanical Engineering feild. I know there is the obvious sales and management path, and the design type jobs, as well as civil/construction type stuff, but what are the other industries you have worked in or seen engineers work in that are a little less known.

I like being hands on and getting a little dirty every once and awhile but it's not a requirement. I kinda prefer fast paced work, and I dont neccessarily have to stay in Mi.

Lets hear it! I know there have to be some good ones out there!! :woot:

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
I am a senior engineering student at KU. Right now I have a good co-op doing pretty cool stuff (Powertrain development and instrumentation). Odds are I will have an opportunity awaiting me when I graduate (hopefully :dunie: )

I'm wondering what other careers paths people have pursued inside of the Mechanical Engineering feild. I know there is the obvious sales and management path, and the design type jobs, as well as civil/construction type stuff, but what are the other industries you have worked in or seen engineers work in that are a little less known.

I like being hands on and getting a little dirty every once and awhile but it's not a requirement. I kinda prefer fast paced work, and I dont neccessarily have to stay in Mi.

Lets hear it! I know there have to be some good ones out there!! :woot:
Dont go into Civil, if you are going to stay in this state, There is a lot of competition right now.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
NVH is a pretty good field. I have not heard of too many of my NVH friends go without work for very long.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motorsports
:thumb: That would be ALOT of fun, any personal experience ?

I would think that would be the kind of job that puts you on the road 9 out of 12 months a year though...Not that that would be such a bad thing for a few years........

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NVH is a pretty good field. I have not heard of too many of my NVH friends go without work for very long.
definately a good field :thumb:

I worked with DT downstairs quite a bit on our stuff (not so much lately though). I'm hoping I can stay involved with the NVH field if I end up in a testing type position.

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
Specializing in something like that (NVH) might be a good way to go, to have broad appeal. NVH work can be applicable to automotive, other forms of transportation, consumer goods(stuff like washing machines, computers, etc, are all noisy and trying to be quiet)

I take it you are an ME?

Working in the automotive market, a lot of ME work can be somehwat mundane, designing brackets, housings, etc. Working in interior stuff is a bit more interesting, as its visual, there's a lot of work into lighting design, etc.

In all, its not bad working automotive. But I'm an EE (although trained as an ME). I've enjoyed what I do now (designing instrument clusters) as we get work with styling, do a lot of cool work with displays, LEDs, etc, etc. Plus I get to drive a new camaro in a few months :nana:

·
I can levitate!
9,245 Posts
:thumb: That would be ALOT of fun, any personal experience ?

I would think that would be the kind of job that puts you on the road 9 out of 12 months a year though...Not that that would be such a bad thing for a few years........

Yes and yes.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hagger, yea, I'm an ME. Definately seems like when there is design involved, or new technology being developed things are always interesting.

Anyone work in the marine industry? I'm sure utilities have some ME jobs people wouldn't normally think of?

·
I can levitate!
9,245 Posts
No, if I did then I would have to kill you.

OK, I have been working as an engineer in racing for 11 years. It is very fast paced and never dull. But it is also very stressful at times and not for the sensitive types. Travel is very extensive and can be a bitch, but if it’s a challenge that you want then Motorsports is the place. There is a good combination of technical and hands on work that needs to be done. The opportunities are fairly limited up here in the North, but if you have any experience in racing then you would have more options down south (North Carolina) for NASCAR, Indianapolis or out west for open wheel stuff.

Just like your grand pappy used to say… If you want something bad enough all you have to do is work hard and you can make it happen.

Jobs in Motorsports are limited but if you really want one you can get one.

·
Yikes!
1,416 Posts
No, if I did then I would have to kill you.

It is very fast paced and never dull. But it is also very stressful at times and not for the sensitive types. Travel is very extensive and can be a bitch, but if it’s a challenge that you want then Motorsports is the place. There is a good combination of technical and hands on work that needs to be done.
x2

Been there. Done that. Got the firesuit to prove it.

·
Covered in mud...
17,916 Posts
Yeah, my *soon-to-be) brother in law recently finished his coursework down at the NASCAR tech school down in NC. But is moving into heavy truck mechanics due to not wanting to live that lifestyle.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
I'm in NVH right now. Interesting, but I can't see doing this forever.

I like powertrain systems / calibration the best so far, but that too is a strange lifestyle with travel and such...

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
My brother-in-law is in NVH at Ford.
there are a lot of us over here; component NVH, program NVH, powerplant NVH, NVH technitions, etc... but do you know what he does, or a name? Might have crossed him at some point...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts