Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm getting burned out trying to get everything done for this weekend.

I have to have a master shut down switch.

What I have .GM 4.3 ,3 wire alt?

Battery switch
battery cable goes on one tap every thing else is on the other Just like a light switch .

while the engine is running I turn the switch off and nothing happens ,engine stays running. So what I think I have to do is run the field wire from the alt. to the switch also to break the current .But.........................I need sleeeeepp!

Thanks Jeff

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
Alt should have nothing to do with it, sounds like you direct wired the distributor voltage to Battery power. it should kill the 12Volts to the coil dirrectly

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alt should have nothing to do with it, sounds like you direct wired the distributor voltage to Battery power. it should kill the 12Volts to the coil directly
every thing is on a master switch alt feed, ecu ,ect. So I was thinking that by shutting down the switch every thing should go dead .

But the Alt. is still generating volts (back feeding some how?) and thats whats keeping it running .That was how I got to the alt . being the issue I'm open for any ideas right now.

Thanks Jeff

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
killing power to the ECU should kill everything...

·
Jeeper
412 Posts
you need to sepperate your charging circuits (battery and alternator) from your electircal loads (ecu, lights, fuel pump, injectors, ...) with the battery disconnect switch.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
Yea, disconnecting the battery won't do much. You could remove the battery and drive around town.

huh? how do you figure with fuel injection?

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
If I remember right, it's backfeeding through the field tab on the alternator. The lug on the back goes to the battery, the "F" tab goes to power and stimulates the alternator to make power. The other tab "R" usually goes to an idiot light saying it's not charging.

There are a couple reasons it may not shut off.
1-Power is feeding back to the "R" terminal, disconnect it and see if it shuts off then.
2-there is no battery light in your vehicle when the key is turned on, try putting a light in-line on the "F" tab.

You can also put a diode (1A/100V) in line in the "F" tab line.

Or I may be full of shit, it's been a long time since I messed with one? :sonicjay:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts