Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Boost Withdrawl
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company wants me to get into engine building - I can do just about everything with what I have (hence why I'm a little lost as to what I would need to be more professional), but they say its way too basic. What are all the specialty tools that you use and recommend? Make and model would make my job really easy.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Bore gauge, degree wheel and related stuff.

Something to check the calibration of all your old torque wrenches.

A good dial caliper and telescoping gauge set.

Cam bearing installer.

A good Bore Scope. I love mine.

There is lots more but I don't know what you have.

·
Boost Withdrawl
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just your basic craftsman hand tools, torque wrenches, ect. Always gotten lucky with cam timing, and never needed anything special - all changes when its not your engine you're working on though...

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
pick up a few packs of plastiguage. you will also want cam holders as well, but there are so many you wont knwo which ones you need till its time to use them, so just hope the snappy guy has them in stock.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Bore gauge, degree wheel and related stuff.

Something to check the calibration of all your old torque wrenches.

A good dial caliper and telescoping gauge set.

Cam bearing installer.

A good Bore Scope. I love mine.

There is lots more but I don't know what you have.
x2,

piston ring tools, ridge reamer if building used motors, core plug installer (never used one, but I know there out there).....theres a ton of stuff.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
All above tools as well as a valve lapper (if you dont have access to a grinder), valve spring compressor, micrometer.

And more as we think of them :).

·
Balls Deep
4,569 Posts
spring compressor for sure. no one lapps valves anymore. might want a non-marring gasket scraper if you dont already have one. a gear driven rotating engine stand. injector tester, fuel line tools.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Plastigauge is awesome. Valve spring compressors are good, digital torque wrench, a decent engine stand (I know that should be given but you'd be surprised), yeah a ton of stuff. Don't forget liquids too.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
A scale for weight matching rods, pistons, etc

Flowbench for head porting

mill for milling

good die grinder set good for porting, cleaning castings, clearancing for cranks

dyno

RTV lots of it don't forget the spray copper

·
Boost Withdrawl
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A scale for weight matching rods, pistons, etc

Flowbench for head porting

mill for milling

good die grinder set good for porting, cleaning castings, clearancing for cranks

dyno

RTV lots of it don't forget the spray copper
heyyy, I actually gots that stuffz:nana:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts