Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a few things that i gots to fix here on my xj, im lookin for some opinions/ help

1- front turn signals/ running lights dont work, ive changed the bulbs, and i checked the fuse w/ test light- test light lights up, no lights on front. i do believe it was getting a low voltage reading on the conecter side when i tested it

2-windsheild wipers- changed fuse, getting power, no worky

3-blower motor- doesnt work, fuse sending juice, looks like previous fuse had meltdown in the fuse panel. would i just be able to wire blower to a switch?

help will be appreciated, thnks

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
blower motor is prolly seized......pull it off and get it spinning by hand then hit it with 12 volts to kick the nastyness out of it and bolt it back in.....other than that im haveing the same problem with my buddies xj thats sittin in my yard

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
#1 Check your rear bulb and make sure it is good, it may be linked. And pray it is not a problem in the steering column.

#2 ???

#3 ??? , but a meltdown sounds like you have some investigating to do.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
Nothing super hard.

1- front turn signals/ running lights dont work.

Under the air box is a connector. It goes bad. Remove the air box (3- 10mm bolts), cut the connector out of there and splice the wires together with barrel connectors. Do one set at a time so you don't cross the wires up.

Are you getting power at the motor? The motor is under the cowl between the hood and windshield. If the motor has both ground and power and does not work, it has croaked.

3-blower motor- doesnt work, fuse sending juice, looks like previous fuse had meltdown in the fuse panel. would i just be able to wire blower to a switch?

the motor has probably shorted out. It is removed from the engine compartment. You get to it on the outside of where the passengers feet are. There are 3 little bolts holding it in. I had to remove my windshield wiper fluid reservoir to get to mine. Before you pull it, check for power at the connector that plugs into the blower motor.

Good luck.. :d:

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Nothing super hard.

Under the air box is a connector. It goes bad. Remove the air box (3- 10mm bolts), cut the connector out of there and splice the wires together with barrel connectors. Do one set at a time so you don't cross the wires up.

Are you getting power at the motor? The motor is under the cowl between the hood and windshield. If the motor has both ground and power and does not work, it has croaked.

the motor has probably shorted out. It is removed from the engine compartment. You get to it on the outside of where the passengers feet are. There are 3 little bolts holding it in. I had to remove my windshield wiper fluid reservoir to get to mine. Before you pull it, check for power at the connector that plugs into the blower motor.

Good luck.. :d:
most likely not but its posible......if the motor siezes it trys to pull alot of currant or alot of amperage as most ppl would say and it prolly just cooked the fuse.....that is what they are there for but like he said make sure u have power at the plug and if u do try what i said

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
most likely not but its posible......if the motor siezes it trys to pull alot of currant or alot of amperage as most ppl would say and it prolly just cooked the fuse.....that is what they are there for but like he said make sure u have power at the plug and if u do try what i said
The Dumbass that owned my XJ before I got it put in the "neverblow" fuse (piece of metal) because it kept popping the real fuse. Well lucky me, I get to replace the control head, switch, wiring, resister and the motor.. :d:

The motor was shorted, I picked one up at Parts Galore for like 8 or 10 bucks.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Dumbass that owned my XJ before I got it put in the "neverblow" fuse (piece of metal) because it kept popping the real fuse. Well lucky me, I get to replace the control head, switch, wiring, resister and the motor.. :d:

The motor was shorted, I picked one up at Parts Galore for like 8 or 10 bucks.
ya, i changed all the fuses, and there was like aluminum foil lookin stuff of the blower fuse

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

which one is it? i have a connector that goes to the radiator (prob not it) and i have an orange connector w/ three wires that isnt plugged into anything, and a two prong weather proof plug(i think that was for the water temp sensor)

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
which one is it? i have a connector that goes to the radiator (prob not it) and i have an orange connector w/ three wires that isnt plugged into anything, and a two prong weather proof plug(i think that was for the water temp sensor)
I have done 2 of them, both 96s, they were directly under the air box. It has like 6 wires in each side of it, it's a pretty good size plug. On 1 the running light wires were no longer even attached to the plug.

What year is yours, it may be different. If there is no plug there, you will need to take a tester and see where you are losing power. Check at the lights first, then where ever you can get to. All the lights should have a plug of some type where they attach to the harness, then where the wiring passes through the firewall.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have done 2 of them, both 96s, they were directly under the air box. It has like 6 wires in each side of it, it's a pretty good size plug. On 1 the running light wires were no longer even attached to the plug.

What year is yours, it may be different. If there is no plug there, you will need to take a tester and see where you are losing power. Check at the lights first, then where ever you can get to. All the lights should have a plug of some type where they attach to the harness, then where the wiring passes through the firewall.
ok, mine is a 87, and ive tested right at the light connectors, and im getting ~.6 or .8 volts

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
That big wire on the left side of your pic is where mine had a plug connector. Yours must be on the inside of that hole where it runs behind the grill. Sorry I had u pull the airbox out for no reason. You need to trace the wires and find the connectors so you can check for power. Maybe take the grill off??

If there is .6-.8v at the plug and 12.v coming from the fuse box, there is a break in the connection somewhere. Since it's not 1 light, I would guess a connector or where the wires go through the firewall. The rear lights are working correctly, right?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That big wire on the left side of your pic is where mine had a plug connector. Yours must be on the inside of that hole where it runs behind the grill. Sorry I had u pull the airbox out for no reason. You need to trace the wires and find the connectors so you can check for power. Maybe take the grill off??

If there is .6-.8v at the plug and 12.v coming from the fuse box, there is a break in the connection somewhere. Since it's not 1 light, I would guess a connector or where the wires go through the firewall. The rear lights are working correctly, right?
yes, the rear lights and turn signals are working fine. the air box was out when i got the jeep, i had to get bolts to hold it on yesterday:tonka:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts