Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Merkin salesman
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try out a conversion kit to rin on E85? Im planning on buying a kit for my truck in a few weeks. They can be put on any mpfi engine and seem to have a good rep. So, has anyone tried one out? I think its a cool idea and a way to say F*&% You to OPEC. http://www.fullflexint.com/

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
I agree with using Ethanol, I just wish it cost less. No fair paying as much as dino-juice and getting 75% of the mileage.

I think they would sell a whole boatload more if you went the same distance for the same amount of money.

·
Simplify...
8,163 Posts
From everything I have seen and heard, I don't think ethanol is a long-term, sustainable fuel. Do some homework before you go that route.

Craig

·
I fix stuff!
13,805 Posts
Not without a substantial investment by someone to produce it.

Those investmets are being made right now. E85 is in infancy right now but hopefully it will gain ground. I believe Brazil gets nearly 100% of its automotive type fuels from ethanol and other biofuels.

·
Licensed master plumber
5,841 Posts
It is not that easy to convert to E85. You have to change all of the rubber seals in the fuel system to material that can withstand alcohol. This most likely includes the fuel pump as well. Then you have to trick the computer into adding 30% more fuel all the time, or change to 30% larger injectors. I am sure there will also be fine tuning to be done as well.

Since you have to use 30% more fuel the cost savings just about zero themselves out.

·
Ax me bout ebonics!
472 Posts
i thought i read somewhere that most vehicles made after like 95 were pretty much already capable of running e85 just with an adjustment or add on to the ecu?

·
Blowd up
6,335 Posts
Explain. :poke:
Bringing more people out of poverty. One of the first things that happens when people rise above poverty is that they improve their diet.

Here are a few of the numbers that show that.

According to the US Department of Agriculture, in 1995 American farmers produced 192 million metric tons of corn. Of this, 14.7 million tons were used to make ethanol, from which 4.9 million tons of dried distillers grain were returned to the grain market. That left 182 million tons available for consumption and export.
In 2007, US corn production rose to 349 million metric tons. Of this, about 62 million tons were used to produce ethanol, of which 21 million tons of dried distillers grains were returned to the grain market. This left a whopping 308 million tons available for consumption and export -- an increase of 110 million tons, or about 82 percent, over the 1995 figures.
During these years, the US population increased by about 14 percent, from 264 million in 1995 to 301 million in 2007. We needed only about 25 million additional tons of corn to meet our rising domestic, non-ethanol consumption and export requirements. In fact, we produced an additional 126 million tons. Obviously, the notion that our increased use of corn for ethanol has "caused" food shortages is false.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
These kits just takes the injector signal and increases it by 30%. So the engine mapping is still not optimized to run on E85 and the other components are not E85 compatible. Also when you look at Brazil they make there ethanol from sugar cane with takes much less energy to distill. Also food prices are going up because more and more crops are being used for energy not just ethanol.

·
Get Some
4,226 Posts
it will cost you more to run e-85. my dad has run both in is 08 f-150, he did the math and i think e-85 needed to be something like .85 cheaper than gas just to break even. So far I have never seen it that cheap

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
I blame ethanol for the rising cost of dairy products. Not sure why, but I do.

·
sit down shut up and ...
4,510 Posts
it will cost you more to run e-85. my dad has run both in is 08 f-150, he did the math and i think e-85 needed to be something like .85 cheaper than gas just to break even. So far I have never seen it that cheap
I thought it was $.45 a gallon?

·
I'm trying to care
511 Posts
Got a free tank of E85 last week----Wow did it kill the mileage. The Grand went from 18 to 20 miles to the gallon to 13. It would need to be half the price of gas to make it worth while.

·
Redneck Poser
7,971 Posts
Anyone that attributes the rise to one thing is just a fool as the person that says it isn't because of ethanol that food prices have went up.

Remember those hay fields, well they are being turned to corn....Why? Better return. Keep in mind that steer eat hay.

Even if you save with ethanol now, you will pay the difference elsewhere.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts