Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much hard drive storage do you have available on your home pc? :tonka:

3.2Tb :stan:
 

·
HURL SCOUTS
Joined
·
10,007 Posts
bout 120 gigs here at work
and probably about 15-20 gigs on my home laptop.
 

·
Slice of Starsage Anyone?
Joined
·
5,070 Posts
43.6 Gb on the main HD.
 

·
Covered in mud...
Joined
·
17,916 Posts
Don't need that kinda space.

new laptop (Dell XPS 2.2ghz) is 160gb, server is 120gb, desktop is 40gb, wife's laptop is mebbe 40gb, and 40gb on my work dell laptop.

don;t play games anymore, our server holds MP3s on one drive and digital photos and data on the other drive.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
20,292 Posts
120g hb on my lappy, 320 gigs in my docking bay, and a 500 gig external drive. they are about 75% full, mostly pc games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
available, not total free btw.

i have 120gb in mp3's, 360gb in dvd rips and work in progress', 350gb in pictures NOT in the wbesite, and 850gb in the website and a few hundred gb in loaded games. sitting at about 24% free space. Picking up another pair of 750gb's this week.
 

·
propane evangelist
Joined
·
798 Posts
available, not total free btw.

i have 120gb in mp3's, 360gb in dvd rips and work in progress', 350gb in pictures NOT in the wbesite, and 850gb in the website and a few hundred gb in loaded games. sitting at about 24% free space. Picking up another pair of 750gb's this week.

RAID anywhere? Hope you have some redundancy. That's a lot to backup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RAID anywhere? Hope you have some redundancy. That's a lot to backup.
I had run a raid for a few years and stopped using it because it was more trouble to put up with than foregoing it with typical consumer motherboards. 90% of my content is on dvd's for longterm backup. I run a 500gb esata external for daily incrementals of the main "my docs" to cover the other 10%. of the 4 times I've had drives fail in the last decade personally I've recovered everything critical from the drive with easy recovery faster than it would take to read it back off dvd.

my earliest pentium ran a 7 drive raid 5 array of scsi 1.2gb drives :sonicjay:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is some deals on some 750's around the 120 dollar price....very tempting but I want to step up to 1TB raid 0 drives.
i'm waiting for the 10k's to come in a capacity bigger than 150gb at reasonable prices.
 

·
Stuck like a MoFo
Joined
·
385 Posts
i'm waiting for the 10k's to come in a capacity bigger than 150gb at reasonable prices.
Get the WD Velicoraptor , replaces the raptor and is back on top again in the SATA class. 10k and 300Gbs. of course its going to be above 200 bucks, but has to be below 300 bucks as SAS 300 GB drives are about $280 and you can get a cheap controller for $50 or so.

Or are you looking for SAS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Get the WD Velicoraptor , replaces the raptor and is back on top again in the SATA class. 10k and 300Gbs.

Or are you looking for SAS
$300 is still a bit steep for only 300gb though. $200 would be a bit nicer. have not gone to SAS yet and may not for a while.
 

·
Stuck like a MoFo
Joined
·
385 Posts
Damn your too picky, look how long Raptors have held their price even though they are now almost being matched by 7200 desktop drives like the WD 640.

And just a quick look at some prices, 750GB WD for 99 shipped. Damn thats hard not to jump on for storage.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top