Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently getting parts together to do a cam swap on my trail pig. Looking for a shop in mi that can dyno tune after it's finished. 5.3 ls with 4l60e. I heard of one in the Detroit area, but can't remember the name. Hoping i can get something scheduled for around February or so.
I searched, but not real hard, and nothing came up. Im guessing my search criteria is bringing the suck :sonicjay:

·
Balls Deep
4,548 Posts
We've had very good experiences with Baker Engineering in Nunica.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've had very good experiences with Baker Engineering in Nunica.

Almost a 3 hour drive, but not going to count anyone out at this point.
They do ls?i have exactly 0.0 experience with this sort of thing:sonicjay:
Do you know their schedule? Are they backlogged or something? If i need to make my appointment now to get in February i will. I need to be wrapped up with this project by the snow snake hill climb in March. My wife is pushing me to get more power so I'm not dead last of the finishers this time around:poke:i guess at least i finished:confused:

·
N8KVB
4,390 Posts
Watson Engineering in the downriver area i believe still does it, but i would wager not the cheapest place you can find to do the testing.

·
Balls Deep
4,548 Posts
They do LS all the time. Boats are big business for them, so fall and winter is slower for them, but they are still usually booked out a coupke weeks at least. We ran our ultra4 car there last winter just before hammers and we were really happy with the way he got the tune all across the board, not just wide open. Off idle crawling rolling into full throttle blips and back into smooth delivery in the midrange came out great, as well as wide open. I'm sure there are other good shoops out there too. Just sharing our excellent experience with Baker.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Watson Engineering in the downriver area i believe still does it, but i would wager not the cheapest place you can find to do the testing.
Thanks, I'll check them out too :beer:
They do LS all the time. Boats are big business for them, so fall and winter is slower for them, but they are still usually booked out a coupke weeks at least. We ran our ultra4 car there last winter just before hammers and we were really happy with the way he got the tune all across the board, not just wide open. Off idle crawling rolling into full throttle blips and back into smooth delivery in the midrange came out great, as well as wide open. I'm sure there are other good shoops out there too. Just sharing our excellent experience with Baker.

Thank you sir! That's exactly the kind of information i need! I drive it like that, or least wish i could:sonicjay::woot::beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Been awhile but there used to be a place on the west side of metro Det. called Livernois engineering. They had a dyno set up.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts

Were you sponsored by HP Tuners then or is that after the fact?

·
Balls Deep
4,548 Posts
That was after our tuning with Baker was done. Hptuners came through big time with funding for our team last year, but they did not actually give us any tuning support. They actually came on board just days before the race, we were on the road bound for Johnson Valley when we heard they were a sure thing. For the record, I am no longer associated with last years outfit. While I do miss Ginger (our car from last year), we're moving on with a new car and a different approach.

·
Low Range Drifter
8,118 Posts
Not a recommendation, but for a data point in case you run across them. I have worked with Motor City Speed on dyno tunes. They cater more to drag racers, so they do well with WOT pulls.

I know of 3 people (me being one of them) that had tunes done there, and all had crappy idle performance that had to be fixed after. Worked great on the sauce, but sucked for crawling.

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
Not a recommendation, but for a data point in case you run across them. I have worked with Motor City Speed on dyno tunes. They cater more to drag racers, so they do well with WOT pulls.

I know of 3 people (me being one of them) that had tunes done there, and all had crappy idle performance that had to be fixed after. Worked great on the sauce, but sucked for crawling.
Bingo!!!! Need more than WOT tuned to perform well.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is turning out better than i had hoped! I never thought there were this many chassis dynoes(sp?) In mi. Thanks so far everyone!
Im definitely going to need more than wot tuning. That's a must.

·
Balls Deep
4,548 Posts
Bingo!!!! Need more than WOT tuned to perform well.
That's always the hardest part and many shops don't, or won't put in the time.

I hopped in the drivers seat with TJ @baker riding shotgun and told him when and how much load to apply to the dyno, as I drove the car as though I were crawling, breaking over crests, low-mid throttle momentum into both throttle chops and into high torque loads. We applied many different series of loads and percentages, with many different combos of throttle percentages. We came away in just a couple hours with a tune we were confident heading to KOH with. We did already have a great WOT tune from another shop, but everywhere else was terrible to start with. So bad in fact that I killed the battery, and two jump boxes trying to start it in the trailer at Baker. We had to push it out into the dyno cell, put a battery charger on it, a fresh set of plugs, and pump some heat on it just to get it to start. It was like 25 below or so that morning, but whatever, should have started.

·
LCG HIJKLMNOP
7,815 Posts
That's always the hardest part and many shops don't, or won't put in the time.

I hopped in the drivers seat with TJ @baker riding shotgun and told him when and how much load to apply to the dyno, as I drove the car as though I were crawling, breaking over crests, low-mid throttle momentum into both throttle chops and into high torque loads. We applied many different series of loads and percentages, with many different combos of throttle percentages. We came away in just a couple hours with a tune we were confident heading to KOH with. We did already have a great WOT tune from another shop, but everywhere else was terrible to start with. So bad in fact that I killed the battery, and two jump boxes trying to start it in the trailer at Baker. We had to push it out into the dyno cell, put a battery charger on it, a fresh set of plugs, and pump some heat on it just to get it to start. It was like 25 below or so that morning, but whatever, should have started.

I haven't ever found a way to tune acceleration enrichment nor do I understand how it's affected very well. I've always defaulted to tuning idle, then VE, then Maf, then spark, then idle again. Even then, there's no way to get base idle airflow for a -25deg cell unless you can log a cold start in that same situation. Unfortunately it's a swag alot of the time in those situations. I get why it would start hard, especially if it was highly modified where the base idle airflow was way off.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't ever found a way to tune acceleration enrichment nor do I understand how it's affected very well. I've always defaulted to tuning idle, then VE, then Maf, then spark, then idle again. Even then, there's no way to get base idle airflow for a -25deg cell unless you can log a cold start in that same situation. Unfortunately it's a swag alot of the time in those situations. I get why it would start hard, especially if it was highly modified where the base idle airflow was way off.
Do you tune on a dyno, or on the road?
Honestly it doesn't matter to me either way, if you can tune while i drive, that would work for me. I don't need a dyno, just a proficient tuner. I really don't care how much power it's making, just need it run good. :beer:

·
Balls Deep
4,548 Posts
I know this, when I got to Baker, it would not start or even pop. When I got home, (almost six hours due to the weather) it was still -25 and it started right up and drove out of the enclosed trailer then onto a gooseneck no problems. I can't say for sure the tune was perfect at that temp, and TJ did acknowledge that without some logs, it wouldn't be, but it was drivable at that temp.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts