Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit:
What program do you guys use to back up your DVD's besides DVD Shrink? When I'm burning with DVD Shrink I am losing sound. I want to try a different software besides that. Anybody?

Question for you techies. My cousin sent me some family videos in an AVI format. I converted it to DVD format using Ulead Movie Factory. I ripped the AVI to DVD folders then used DVD Shrink to burn it to a DVD. I think I ripped one from AVI then burn directly to the DVD using Movie Factory and it still skipped. Best Buy had DVD+R's on sale for super cheap so I picked them up. I burned the first DVD, and it did the digital skip. There was a small scratch on it, so I burned another DVD. Well that one was okay for a while, then started to skip again. I burned a third DVD and it still skips. There are no scratched on the DVD and I just got done cleaning the DVD player. It's a Sony DVD player and it's never had any other problems reading other burnt DVD's. So...the question is...is it having a hard time reading the DVD because it's a DVD+r? The DVD brand is Dynex. Any ideas? I've never converted from AVI to DVD so I don't know if the conversion just sucks or if it's the DVD's.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe it is the burner. I've had it for a long time. I'll have to try to rip another DVD just to test it. The video itself on my computer is fine. I've watched it many times with no skipping. So yeah...I guess it's either the burner or the software. Is there any software out there to test cd/dvd drives?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

Edited first post.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are we talking home movies that are bits and pieces or a full dvd with copy protection and all that jazz?
I don't need to worry about copy protection. I have a file that I already converted to DVD format (with the video & audio folders) ready to be burned. I just need software that will take the DVD folders and will burn them to a DVD. Does Nero do that? I have Nero7 Ultra......

Did that answer your question?:sonicjay:

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Yea nero will burn files directly to a dvd if you drag and drop them in the mini dvd mode, it will automatically detect that u are over in file size for a CD and convert to DVD mode. Probably prompt you.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea nero will burn files directly to a dvd if you drag and drop them in the mini dvd mode, it will automatically detect that u are over in file size for a CD and convert to DVD mode. Probably prompt you.

HOT DAMN!!!!!! :rock:

Okay I am going to try it now! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
HOT DAMN!!!!!! :rock:

Okay I am going to try it now! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!
So will Ulead Video Studio. This package came free with my video camera and it has some video editing capability. I have been using it to put all the video we have of our trip to Silver Lake and Mounds.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So will Ulead Video Studio. This package came free with my video camera and it has some video editing capability. I have been using it to put all the video we have of our trip to Silver Lake and Mounds.
Yeah, but I think it takes longer than splitting it up. Converting it to DVD folders then using another software to burn it is quicker, at least I think so. Plus I can convert it to DVD folders then burn it to a DVD later.

When I tried Nero, I copied over the DVD files & burned the DVD. Picture is great....but no sound. I don't understand it. The files play fine on my computer...just once it's on a DVD, I don't have sound. I'm using DVD-R's now. Tonight, while I'm asleep, I'm going to use Movie Factory to convert it from avi and burn it right to a DVD. We'll see what happens in the morning.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Yeah, but I think it takes longer than splitting it up. Converting it to DVD folders then using another software to burn it is quicker, at least I think so. Plus I can convert it to DVD folders then burn it to a DVD later.

When I tried Nero, I copied over the DVD files & burned the DVD. Picture is great....but no sound. I don't understand it. The files play fine on my computer...just once it's on a DVD, I don't have sound. I'm using DVD-R's now. Tonight, while I'm asleep, I'm going to use Movie Factory to convert it from avi and burn it right to a DVD. We'll see what happens in the morning.
You are right on the Video Studio thing. I have been using DVDShrink for that. There is a shareware app called AVI2DVD. I have it loaded but havent used it yet.

On the sound - you may be missing a plugin for Nero (or CODEC). Check their website. Look for Nero_6_DVD-MPEG2_Encoder_Plugin.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are right on the Video Studio thing. I have been using DVDShrink for that. There is a shareware app called AVI2DVD. I have it loaded but havent used it yet.

On the sound - you may be missing a plugin for Nero (or CODEC). Check their website. Look for Nero_6_DVD-MPEG2_Encoder_Plugin.
Thanks, Smiley!
I'm downloading the codex now. I'll let ya know.:thumb:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay...well.....even burning directly from MovieFactory to DVD doesn't even have sound now. It had sound before when I did it, but not anymore. I did switch to DVD-R's. Is it the burner? I might swap out burners just to see...but i dunno.

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
So let me see if I understand this correctly, you have the actual DVD ".vob" files on your computer but you are having trouble getting them to DVD correctly even though they play perfectly fine while on your Hard Drive?

·
Registered
346 Posts
dvd+r's would not work on any of my dvd players except my own computer for some reason, when i switched to DVD-R it was great, and even the cheap ones that i got from bestbuy worked fine.....

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Um, DVD Shrink will burn direct to an ISO image file you can then burn to a dvd with Nero. It used to be you could burn right to dvd with DVD shrink if you had Nero, but they broke it a couple versions back and now you need to take 2 steps. I use DVD Fab decrypter to rip, DVD shrink to make the ISO, and then Nero 6 ultra to burn the image to disk using dvd-r disks and I never have an issue. I do have older dvd players in the house that have issues with a few burned disks, but as I replace the players with new ones I have no problems.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
dvd+r's would not work on any of my dvd players except my own computer for some reason, when i switched to DVD-R it was great, and even the cheap ones that i got from bestbuy worked fine.....
Yup. I went to Office Max, bought a thing of DVD-R's that were on sale along with a new burner. I installed the new burner, then I installed the Nero co-dec that Smiley said, and it works fine now. I have a feeling the skipping was because they were DVD+R's, but I don't know for sure. I could test my old burner, but I already installed the new one, so I'll just use the old burner for a desktop that I'm slowly working on building. If it doesn't work then, oh well. I forgot that +R's only work on certain DVD players. It's just weird because our DVD player says that it will read +R's, but oh well. I have sound and I don't have any digital skips....so I'm happy. Thanks, guys! :thumb:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
+R or -R depends on the compatibility of the "Home" player you are using. I think -R's are for use on older players and the newer palyers can play + and - R's. I may have it backwards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts